HELP! Excellent Signal But Can't Connect

I have a laptop running Win2K and am using a Belkin wireless G card that works fine with the router it came with.

I am now at my dad's house and the wireless utility shows the wireless network and a strong signal, but I can't connect.

I have checked the box that says connect me even though it is not secure. I have refreshed the network. I have removed and reinstalled the wireless card. I have rebooted the computer. The card has power because the LED is lit. The data transfer LED lights up sporatically.

I cannot imagine what settings to mess with to get this working!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
pekoe1111
Loading thread data ...

pekoe1111 hath wroth:

Does the Belkin wireless card have a model number and hardware version or are you keeping it secret to make answering questions more difficult. While you're at it, kindly disclose the maker and model number of the wireless router. Extra credit for supplying the hardware version (it's on the serial number tag).

Are you using Wireless Zero Config or the connection manager than came with the Belkin?

I have a good imagination. I have to with what little info you've supplied.

1. Is he using WEP encryption? If so, use the Hex key, not the ASCII key. There are problems with many vendors in learning how to convert from ASCII to Hex. Hex always works, ASCII doesn't. I know you implied that it's an open (no encryption) connection, but I'm not sure from your description. WZC doesn't have such a box to check so you must be using the Belkin connection manager.
  2. Is there a MAC address filter setup in the router? If so, you'll need to connect to the router with an ethernet cable, login to the config page, and add your MAC address to the "allow" list.
  3. Are you actually connecting to your fathers router or is it really the neighbors? I wish I had a for every time one of my customers calls me on the cell phone with that problem. If you're not sure, turn off the router and see if the signal goes away.
  4. What do you mean by "removed and reinstalled" the wireless card? Duz that mean you've reinstalled the Belkin wireless drivers? If so, methinks you should check it with a known working access point before proceeding to make sure you haven't made a mess of the reinstall.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.