help? connection must be reset after every reboot

I am using a linksys WRT54GSV4 wireless router with WUSB54GS wireless usb adapters. I am using WZC instead of the linksys software because I'm having an issue with roaming profiles and the WZC was a suggested fix. Every time I reboot a machine I have to disable and re-enable the connection before I can receive data. The connection makes, because the icon in the system tray reports that I am connected with good signal strength.

I think the issue is encryption related because the network adapter reports itself as connected, but I am unable to receive data. I can't ping any other machine on the network, nor the router. If I wait the

3600 seconds (1 hour) for the key to be regenerated I will connect (rather begin to receive data), or if I disable and re-enable the connection I will connect. This happens with AES or TKIP.

It doesn't happen when I use the linksys software, and I know that I could just install it and use it, but I want to fix this issue with WZC. I could just repair the connection every time I boot, but that defeats the purpose as that would not allow me to pull down the profile.

This happens on two different machines, using either AES or TKIP, both machines have exactly the same symptoms although one machine uses a WUSB54GSC.

Has anyone seen this with WZC?

Reply to
Kayne
Loading thread data ...

No, but what you see is not unusual with wireless usb adapters and the client software that comes with them. They do not seem to be able to survive a (re-) boot. When I use my DWL-G122 on a Mac or W2K PC (no WZC) I have to wait and plug the usb adapter in after the boot process has completed.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Exactly the same here....

Reply to
burris

You know, I've read a number of accounts such as this about the software that comes with wireless usb adapters, and the solution that is usually offered up is to stop using the vendor software and use microsoft's own wireless zero configuration.

I use the little linksys wireless adapters (WUSB54G variants) and, the funny thing is, it is the Wireless Zero Configuration that gives me the exact same problem (of not surviving a reboot), and in *my* case, using the linksys software seems to be the solution. Which would be fine, except the linksys software has it's own issues, mainly that it shuts down the adapter before roaming profiles get a chance to write out when logging off. This was the whole reason I started barking up this tree to begin with. I've given up on the roaming profiles for now, but man I sure would like to have an all encompassing answer for this.

Reply to
Kayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.