Help! connecting an older computer for wireless

The Dell L series is a bit older than 5 years. My guess is about

1998-1999. Intel Coppermine PIII with 810 series chipset.

The SB5100 has an ethernet connector:

formatting link

Well, basically it's time to dump the USB. You will need to purchase a PCI ethernet 10/100baseT ethernet card and install it in your computah. These are about $15 and come with drivers. Your L series laptop probably came with Windoze 98SE. Be sure the card you buy has drivers for whatever operating system you're using. Many of the current models only come with W2K and XP drivers.

Once installed, the WAN (internet) port of the WRT54G goes to the ethernet port of the SB5100. Remove the USB cable from the SB5100 as it will no longer be needed or used. Another ethernet cable goes between one of the LAN ports on the WRT54G to your new ethernet card in the Dell. Do all your configuration with a wired connection and NOT via wireless.

You should be able to just plug everything together, configure the WAN connections page for whatever your ISP expects (probably DHCP), and be connected to the internet.

The rest is following the instructions for setting up the WRT54G wireless. Be sure to use WPA-PSK encryption for best security.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a Dell "Dimension" L serie desktop which is about 5 years old. I am connected to Road Runner with a Motorola SB5100 cable modem. I just purchased a new laptop equiped with 802.11 wireless and at the same time, picked up a Linksys Broadband Router model WRT54GC, hoping to go wireless in my home. To my surprise, I do not seem to have an ethernet "plug" on my desktop which seems necessary to install the router. The Motorola modem is hooked up to the destop with a USB cable.

Anyone has any idea of how I might be able to hookup the router? Is it even possible with my desktop?

MANY THANKS to anyone able to answer this novice's questions. Mireille

Reply to
Kenosha1

Reply to
Kenosha1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.