HELP

Hello,

I just got a wireless Dell, Inspiron mini lap top. While trying to set it up after working on it for awhile I hear a static sound coming from it, even if I put it on mute. I purchased a different router for it since the tech said to get a different one..this one is doing the same thing.

The wireless router is a Linksys by Cisco. It is a Wireless-G Broadband Router.

The main Pc is a Windows xp.. I have a high speed modem with ATT&T..

Just a thought? Can the wireless LAP TOP pick up any interference from the the new flat screen TV...making that static sound?

Does the main pc have to be on while setting up the wirless? Any suggestions?

Thanks k

Reply to
K F
Loading thread data ...

A wireless router can not cause static in a computer unless you have the laptop sitting on top of the router ;) unless you have really bad wireless driver software in your laptop.

One test you need to do with your laptop is to power it on using battery power only, wait until you start getting the static you described and then power off the router and anything else electronic or even better take the laptop outside while it is still powered on. If the static persists you most likely have a defective laptop or corrupted software. You might time how long the problem takes to show up so you will be ready to duplicate it at the store to prove it to them.

No the main PC does not need to be powered on in order for the laptop to connect to the wireless router in a normal home installation unless your internet feed is going directly into one Ethernet connecter and then going back out a different Ethernet connecter of the main PC before going to the router.

Good luck

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

GSM phone too close to some part of the system?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Thanks for your suggestions!! I'll let you know what the cause is..we are taking it back to the store for a test or any help to find out the cause of the static.

k
Reply to
K F

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.