Hawking's HWU54D USB adapter

Hello, I've just bought this wirelless USB adapter on ebay. I'm waiting for it to arrive and looking for information.

Does someone know this model?

In particular I wonder what chipset uses, because I would like to use netstumbler but I'm afraid it downs't be supported.

And what about NDIS 5.1? Is it an alternative driver of original ones?

Reply to
Qbert
Loading thread data ...

I am currently connected to the Internet using a Hawking HWU54D adapter. My Toshiba's built-in Intel adapter can't even see the network I'm using, or the three others that the Hawking can see. I use NetStumbler with it, selecting the NDIS 5.1 device.

Of the half dozen WiFi adapters I have, this is my favorite. On the beach in Mexico (where we'll be again tomorrow), I use it to connect with a network 2.2 miles across the bay.

Just make sure you bought the Rev. Z version of the adapter:

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

You should Googled it something like "Hawking HWU54D Reviews" to see what comes up...

Reply to
DavidT

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:01:40 +0100, "Qbert" wrote in :

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you check on these things _before_ buying it?!

Reply to
John Navas

Right, good question! Of course, I should had. but I didn't... because it's my first wifi adapter and didn't know anything about them, so I hadn't much to look for.... my first dubt is about netstumbler support but maybe other question will come out very soon.

Anyway, many thanks to Dave: it should work with ndis driver. Ok, but where I can found this driver? Is it windows standard driver or it comes from Hawking/Intel?

"John Navas" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Qbert

The drivers ship with the Hawking adapter.

The Hawking application, which allows you to see the available networks and select the one you want to use, is a good one, but one oddity confused me for a while. When you start the app, nothing appears to happen. In fact, it starts minimized in the System Tray. Open it from there, and you can use it like Netstumbler to aim the device for the highest signal strength.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.