Having to restart to conect

Hey guys and gals,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why my wireless connection is not recognised the first time I boot up, but if I restart, it works fine ? I'm using XP, SP2 and a generic wireless system. So far I've tried :

1. Reinstalling the software
  2. Hot-swapping the USB adapter.

The most annoying thing is that it originally worked fine, then this problem just seemed to happen, not new software/hardware !

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dan

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

What sort of wireless system are you talking about? Ad hoc (wireless adptor to wireless adaptor) or do you use a router or access point in infrastructure mode? What make are the various components? Do the wireless network adaptors use their own setup or does windows manage the connection? What security are you using - e.g. WEP or WPA? What firewalls are you using?

Reply to
Tony

802.11b

Using a router, but no central server, which is probably ad-hoc mode.

On my system, one 802.11b generic adapter (seriously, even the box gives no name). Same with the router and Access Point. Apologies, but it was all set up on a budget.

Not sure, probably configured through Windows from what I can remember.

No security, the IP address(s) are locked down on the router. No firewall, as (I thought) the router would be able to prevent most unrequired access.

Many thanks,

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.