Have to type http:// to access a website

In news:microsoft.public.inetexplorer there were less than 100 posts on the server I use, but in news:microsoft.public.internetexplorer there were over 4,000 posts.

Reply to
Rôgêr
Loading thread data ...

And ... in microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

141,000 posts, microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser 204,000 posts.
Reply to
Rôgêr

Sorry if this is a little OT, but it is on my wireless computer.

In Internet Explorer, it used to be that I could just type the www. part of the address and get to the website

formatting link
For some reason, that changed, and now I have to type the complete address
formatting link
otherwise it either loads incredibly slowly, or not at all.

Everything works fine in Firefox.

Anyway, does anyone know what might causing this? If there is a better group to post in, please let me know!

Thanks,

Ryan

Reply to
The Chairman

Instead, try typing the word "google" (without the quotes), then hold down your control key while hitting the Enter key. It will automagically add the http:, the //, the www, and the .com. This works in both FireFox and Internet Exploder.

Reply to
Father Dale

No, but I can see the solution - stop using IE. Firefox is way better anyway.

one of hte MS support groups I suspect.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Father Dale wrote in news:Qxyce.163552 $ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Good tip. Thanks! I still am looking for the cause of this problem, so if anyone has it...

Reply to
The Chairman

Mark McIntyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, I posted in the MS IE group, but it seems that no one looks there. There's only about 100 posts in the last 2 months. Oh well.

Reply to
The Chairman

Rôgêr wrote in news:y-idnbNqwvojRu_fRVn- snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com:

Thanks, I'll post in those groups now too.

Reply to
The Chairman

Do yo use AOL? That is a known issue for them and is a virus or something like that. I am now remembering bits and pieces of the problem solving I went thru quite a while ago.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

As a follow up to all who replied, this seems to be a wide problem, and a registry key is the cause. It seems that the default prefix key gets deleted or corrupt. Here is a link for more info:

formatting link
Thanks for your replies.

The Chairman

Reply to
The Chairman

That's normal.

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.