Hardware Compatabilty

When I disable my Intel Prowireless 'g' adapter in my Dell Laptop and enable a new alternative Belkin 'n' wireless ExpressCard adapter I have problems with my Linksys wireless 'n' WAG160N Modem Router hardwired to my Desktop PC.The Belkin adapter connects a short time but then disconnects; this also affects my router which prevents me accessing the interent on my Desktop PC.I can only get my system working again by resetting my Router!.- I have reverted back to my 'g' adapter on my Laptop.

Is this a known incompatability problem between Belkin and Linksys, or can I alter any settings to get a total 'n' system.

Thanks John

Reply to
NealJ
Loading thread data ...

The short connect and subsequent disconnect usually indicates that it successfully associated with the AP, but that the WPA/WPA2 encryption exchange has failed. Intel Proset has some nifty internal diagnostics but I don't think Belkin has any. I don't know what operating system you're using, but Windoze does have some really verbose diagnostics that can be used to watch the connection progress and see where it's failing.

You might try temporarily setting the WAG160N to "unencrypted" and see if you can successfully connect.

Another possibility is that you have MAC address or IP address filtering enabled in the WAG160N as some kind of obstacle course security measure. Disable it while testing.

I don't know why it would (or even could) affect the wired ethernet connection on the router. The usual problem is mixing WAN and LAN ports on the back of the router, but the WAG160N doesn't have a WAN port with its internal DSL modem, so that's not it. Any chance your ISP has some kind of bizarre arrangement where you're only allowed to connect a single PC to their service?

Of course, verify that you have the latest firmware and drivers for all the devices.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.