Haldbridge modem & DD-WRT DHCP problem

Hi All,

Hope someone here can help. I am having a problem with the following setup:

--------------

Dlink 502G : in half bridge mode, so as I understand it, it should terminate my PPPoA connection, but pass on the real world IP to the DD- WRT. Address to access setup pages is 10.1.1.1. Is being assigned dynamic IP's by ISP.

DD-WRT : Getting the real world IP from the Dlink 502G ok. Setup pages is 192.168.1.1. Assigns IP's to clients in the range 192.168.1.100.

Now the problem is that when the Dlink 502G resynchs, for whatever reason, the new IP is not being passed on to the DD-WRT. I can fix this by manually going into the DD-WRT setup pages and clicking on DHCP renew, but I am assuming it shoud be updating the IP after a resynch automatically?

Anyone have any suggestions?

I will try to post some links to screen shots of the setup later.

Cheers

-Al PS: DD-WRT running on Linksys v1, V24 stable.

Reply to
BigAl.NZ
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, ye fobbing foul adultress, tempt not too much the hatred of my spirit, for I am sick when I do look on thee, ye squalled:

The malfunction is caused by the phased thetatachyon disinverting echo. You can either break the matter fuse a spatial-plane, or wind the bipolar sensor a vertiwrench. You may need a new deuterium integer stack. Check the schedule of the thermo-array Gödelian toroid.

Reply to
Kadaitcha Man

I am convinced the problem is with the Dlink 502T I changed it so that I have :

-------- and it still would not update the PC with the real world IP.

And yes the ethernet adapter on the PC was set to obtain address automatically.

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

I see that going from v23 to v24 didn't help. The 192.168.1.xxx IP's are not involved. Those are the LAN side IP's that are assigned by the DHCP server in the DD-WRT router. That's working.

What's apparently not working is the WAN side DHCP client (not server). A few problems.

1. When you power cycle the DSL modem, there should be no change in IP address.
  2. If your ISP uses an ATM disconnect (from the modem) to issue a new IP address, the DHCP client (in DD-WRT) will not notice until it's time to renew the DHCP lease. The only way that's going to happen is if you power cycle BOTH devices or force a renewal from the setup pages.
  3. There is no mechanism for the DHCP server to inform the client that it's time to renew BEFORE the lease expires. For example, if the DHCP server issued a lease for 24 hours, the client will try to renew at 12 hours and will not request a new IP until the full 24 hours are up.
  4. There are kludges to solve this problem. One is a simple shell script that tests for connectivity to the ISP gateway. If it fails, it forces at a WAN side disconnect: ifconfig vlan1 down followed by a reconnect: ifconfig vlan1 up which I think (not sure) initiates a new DHCP negotiation. I can try it here, but not for a few days. Bizzzzeeeee.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

-

Sound it sounds like things are actually working the way they should, albeit thats not nessecarily the way I want them to work?

Perhaps I should :

(a) make my ADSL connection more reliable so it doesnt disconnect (b) Set the 502T to PPPoA mode and turn on DHCP, and make it a DMZ.

I would then get the 502T to assign 10.1.1.3 to the DD-WRT and the DMZ would make sure all traffic goes to the DD-WRT? I guess its still a kind of double NAT? I suppose I could make the LAN side of the 502T static IP with 10.1.1.3?

My aim here is to make the DD-WRT do all the work, and just have the

502T terminate the connection and pass everything on to the DD-WRT where all the firewalls, acess restrictions and port forwards are setup.

-Al

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

Hello , did you solve you're problem? If Yes please post some details on how to do. I have same problems too

Reply to
opo1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.