Got my neighbour onto my wireless network - thanks everyone!

Hey folks,

I just wanted to say that I have successfully connected my neighbour of

500ft away to my wireless network using a USB 802.11b dongle inside a cantenna. My greatest thanks and appreciation go out Jeff Liebermann and Bob Alston for their advice and ideas - I would never have thought that a $25 USB dongle and an old can would have been able to do this for us... That is just too cool. :-)

I will try to post take some pictures the next time I am at the neighbour's house, so you can see the rig we have set up. It's interesting that we are just on the fringe of being able to use just a cantenna with no AP-side antenna's... we often get "low signal" or "no signal" but enough bandwidth for good downloading (the Network control panel settings show 11Mbs connection - not sure if it's lying or not, since we have such poor "signal" readings) and that's all that matters to us. I am still amazed that it worked at all!!!

So, thanks again guys!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Haynes
Loading thread data ...

Let's not go off the deep-end with pictures.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hey, that is awesome - I will definitely add that to our setup and see if my neighbour gets a better signal. He works in a metal fabrication shop, so maybe he can even make one of those backings out of stainless steel or aluminum or something.

Thanks!! Tim

Reply to
Tim Haynes

You could put a free reflector on the AP.

formatting link
The EZ-10 takes a few minutes to make with a piece of cardboard and aluminum foil. Jeff thinks my rendition is too wrinkly, and should be smoother, maybe made from a flat sheet of metal instead. My setup was better with two reflectors. One reflector and one bare antenna caused some "toggling" between the antennas.

<
formatting link
>
Reply to
dold

The "support" portion should not be metal, just the back. If he's a metal fab guy, maybe one of the other designs would be simple to make. I never got the "original" reflector to stay formed correctly, it always twisted off kilter.

Reply to
dold

Good point about the support. Maybe he can create the slots for the support and then we can cut a piece of wood or something to use as the actual support.

Thanks again! Tim

Reply to
Tim Haynes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.