Good Wireless Connection Manager?

Hi,

I frequent a handful of wireless networks: my home, my office, my brother's, etc.

I've tried a few wireless Connection Managers: Windows', Intel's, Boingo, and T-Mobile's --and so far I haven't found any that will let me store specific IP config info for each connection.

For example, at home and work, I have the networks configured for my laptop to have a pre-determined IP. But there are other networks that assign IPs dynamically.

The problem I'm having is using Window's TCP/IP config you can assign only one IP address, or automatic IP retrieval, or make a list of IPs butt not specify which networks they belong to, so each time I try to connect to my home or office networks it takes well over a minute for my laptop to search for an IP address before it gives up an chooses the pre-assigned one.

Any software that can overcome this? Or am I overlooking an already existing solution?

Reply to
Byron
Loading thread data ...

Try:

formatting link
think one of my laptops has about 35 configurations, one for each customers network, VPN, SMTP mail server, printers, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I specifically use Boingo for the IP setting. I am DHCP on various connections, but I need a static IP on one WAP. I have version 1.4 build(1241) which has an "IP Settings" tab when I edit a profile. It defaults to dhcp.

Reply to
dold

Do you happen to know if it is still necessary, in Windows 98, to manually change the TCP/IP settings and reboot when changing from Static to Dynamic IP?

Reply to
David Quinton

That's too long ago ;-) I do recall instances where the message about "you need to reboot" could be handled by disable/enable on the NIC. I don't remember if that was Win98.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.