Going to bat for Linksys BEFW11S4

Ok, I have been reading this NG for a few months now without saying a whole lot. I have considered throwing this out their earlier, but I put it off until I read some more posts about Linksys BEFW11S4.

I own a BEFW11S4 V3.2 router. I must admit it has been the best router I have ever owned. I have it hard wired to my desktop and wireless to my laptop. In the past I had a hard wired Netgear and SMC and I found that they gave me nothing but problems.

When I purchased a laptop with a wireless card I gave the BEFW11S4 a try and I must admit it has been the most reliable router. I have presently lived at my current location for 2.5 years. I remember the day I set the router up and hooked it up and I haven't had to touch it since. It has never gone offline or anything like that. The power goes out sometimes and when it comes back on the router is ready to go and I do not have to change any of the settings again (such as WEP, MAC filtering, etc..) as it is all there.

I look across my computer desk as I write this and notice that this router has so much dust on it because I never have to fiddle with the thing or anything. I have never had any problems with the wireless with my laptop either. It connects no probs and doesn't drop the connection either. I have file sharing between the lapper and the desktop setup too and the router works fine for this too without no problems ever.

Now, I have noticed that alot of the posts bashing this router have been referring to the V4 of the router. As I mentioned above, I have the V3.2. Maybe this is just something with the V4 of the router?

I look forward to reading your comments.

K
Reply to
Me
Loading thread data ...

I have a BEFW11S4 v3.2 about 1 1/2 y.o. also and am extremely pleased with it. The only time I've had trouble with it was due to operator error.

-- Louie Gainesville, FL USA (eat the flies to email)

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it."

Robert Heinlein

Reply to
Louie

That was actually my first router about 4+ years ago (must have been the first or second version). It ran great until I got a DSL connection (5mbps). The WAN link couldn't handle the total speed and gave me around 1.5 - 2Mbps down. So I sold it (40!$) to a co-worker and bought the Netgear WGR614 v4 but had to RMA it for a v5 when it conked out. I've enjoyed the v5 for its elegant design, decent throughput and granular UI control (although it's no openwrt, though I can't fathom the real utility in asterix, etc.). I have 7 connections going though it and one more on the way. It does get hotter than I'd like but a lot of that is probably attributed to its diminutive design. IMO, a good purchase. Whatever you do, steer clear of the wpc54gs wireless card!

Reply to
yes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.