Giving a wifi router a diagnostic...

try changing channels

Reply to
BigJIm
Loading thread data ...

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, it's been set up correctly and for the most part works well. However there are times when I cannot 'see' the network broadcast by the router. However, there are two other linksys routers somewhere in my 'bubble' that are broadcasting and always available. One is a low signal, the other is a good signal, and whenever mine connects, the signal is excellent. (every so often a few other wireless networks are visible, but they come and go).

So, is there a way to make sure the hardware of my router is working properly. If my router is in my apartment, I don't understand why it would fall away while other linksys signals are always recognizable.

My signal will drop when I am 10 ft away from the router in a direct line-of-sight ... while the other linksys signals (I have no idea where they are based) are always visible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, John

Reply to
John ©

Reply to
BigJIm

I've been on 4 different channels... and so far I have never been on a channel that another visible network is on.

Reply to
John ©

And microwave ovens, and anything that runs in the 2.4GHz band, including any number of industrial processes.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

How do I keep my clients connected to My Network, even when a Nearby Network has a stronger Signal.

1. Double click on the wireless network connection in the system tray.
  2. Click on properties
  3. Click on Wireless Networks Tab
  4. Create a profile for your network in the prefered networks box
  5. Click on advanced
  6. Uncheck the box that says Automatically connect to non-prefered networks....

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.