Give us a clue... (Fixed IP)

I can't connect with fixed IP on a WPA Wireless network. Roaming and automaticly assigned IPs work but when I try to set the two wireless machines to fixed IPs they won't connect. (one is WinXP, other Ubuntu) Gateway is 192.168.2.1 a wired machine is ...2.2 and I wanted the two wireless ones to be ...2.3 & ...2.4 (I wanted to do it for port forwarding.)

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

TIA

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s
Loading thread data ...

Nope. No ideas. I have no clue what you're talking about, what you're trying to accomplish, why you need static IP's on the clients, how these clients are actually configured, what exact operating systems are being used, what device you're connecting to, whether the static IP's you picked are already in use, what diagnostics you've tried, and what other hardware you have to work with. Try a better description of what you have to work with and what you're trying to accomplish.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To restore balance to the world Sla#s wrote in g0n6c4$cqe$ snipped-for-privacy@energise.enta.net

Look in your router something along the lines of " LAN Clients" and add your fixed IPs.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Ok when assigning a fixed IP,

- What is the netmask you are using.

- What is the output of IPconfig.

- What is the range of DHCP IP addresses defined within your router?

-aljuhani.

Reply to
aljuhani

You never mention DNS address, are you you using for a DNS IP?

To manually configure a machine with a static IP addrss you'll need four things.

1. Static IP Address for each machine. check to see if there is an active host by pinging the address while on DHCP.
  2. Subnet Mask. More than likely will be set for you after you type in the IP but should prolly be 255.255.255.0
  3. Default Gateway, should be the IP address of your router/firewall/ap.
  4. Primary DNS server. Either use the IP address of your router/firewall or check with your ISP and use the actual DNS server IP address.

Should work.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Both the static ones of my provider, Open DNS and I also tried the gateway.

That's what I'm not getting unless I let it get the IP automatically.

Yes that just pops up when a static IP is entered.

That is set OK at 192.168.2.1

I've tried my providers ones (l95.74.***.***), 'Open DNS' ones and currently, the local gateway. (l92.l68.2.l)

Slatts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Belkin F5D8631(192. . .1), WinXP SP3(wired 'static IP' 192. . .2), Wireless WinXP SP3 Media centre and Wireless Ubuntu 8.04.

STOP PRESS.... I think I've found the problem

From a review of the router: "Unlike some competing routers, the N1 does not support DHCP reservation"

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Interestingly although the router will show the connected machines IPs I can find no provision for adding LAN clients manually.

This is the problem - From a review: "Unlike some competing routers, the N1 does not support DHCP reservation"

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

huh ?

huh ?

Reply to
ps56k

is that like "reserving" IP addresses within the DHCP pool range ? ie - for poking holes in your pool for static IP vs correcting your DHCP definition ?

Reply to
ps56k

ok... so what's you DHCP range pool definition to support 3 computers ?

Why woud you put all IP addresses next to each other ? vs say DHCP up at the 50, 100, 150, or 200 range and leave the lower range for static addresses ?

For me - I always leave 1-50 for static.... and the DHCP is at the 150 range

Reply to
ps56k

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that it does not support DHCP reservation will not prevent Static IP addressing from working. However it is not a good idea to use Static Addresses that are within the DHCP pool, I would suggest that you start by changing the DHCP Pool start from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.50 and then give your computers static IP's 192.168.2.2..3...4. Whar are you using to manage your network in Ubuntu, "Network Manager" or something else.

Reply to
LR

Try: DHCP Configuration

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Whoops- just re-read your post it looks like you need a new router one that will support DHCP Configuration..

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Already done that. Perhaps I should start the DHCP pool from 192.168.2.10 to allow the lower number ones to be fixed...? I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Yes...

----------------------------------------------------- Further to all this I now can't connect theUbuntu machine at all...! Even the old way as "roaming".

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

MAYBE START AT ---> 192.168.2.100

what's the facination with squeezing the IP numbers next to each other ? you have about 250 addreses available in the segment !

Reply to
ps56k

Not a good idea? How about a TREMENDOUSLY BAD IDEA. Never, even do this. Eventually you'll have a DHCP lease request run up against one already in use statically. Some DCHP servers are smart enough to ping first before leasing, but most aren't that smart.

What can be helpful is to set up a DHCP reservation. This way the DHCP server always gives the same IP address to a device based on it's MAC address. But not many SoHo class routers support configuring such lease reservations.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The easiest way of fudging this on a domestic consumer grade router is simply to move the DHCP allocation range out of the way.

e.g. router = 192.168.1.254

dhcp range = 192.168.1.32-63

static range (PCs) = 192.168.1.1-31 static range (servers, printers, VoIP...) = 192.168.1.253-64

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

(Ops Sorry - clicked wrong button)

.... "..., the N1 does not support DHCP reservation"

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.