Getting power to internet/IP cameras

I'd like to install some wireless IP video cameras in my parents' store. To get decent coverage at the correct angles I'll need about 3-4 in an area approx 2,000 sq. ft. The building has push-out tile ceilings, so mounting and positioning the cameras is not a great challenge. However, the problem for me is AC power access. The inexpensive cameras I've used in the past (+/- $200 USD) use the 6-8 ft power cables and the small transformers (wall warts).

What are some ideas for getting power where I'll need it?

thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:17:50 GMT, "JM" wrote in :

Use Power over Ethernet with cameras that support it.

Reply to
John Navas

I'd go with wired cameras with Power Over Ethernet. I had good luck with the

formatting link
in an outdoor housing (till it got hit by lightning), and would probably use those and a
formatting link
for a file server for them.

No, they aren't cheap, but if your time is worth anything you should look into professional gear like this for a security application. I'd never trust multiple wirless cameras in a security application, and the Axis cameras can do motion detection, take alarm triggers, and Email you pictures and movies (plus write interesting stuff to the NAS drive automatically).

Axis has a bunch of new gear that I haven't looked at, but IMHO, security cameras just gotta have 802.3af PoE.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.