Gateway address needed

Having limited connection with new adapter so am giving own IP address subnet etc. rather than auto configure. It worked once before on previous computer.

However I need a gateway address.

I was given one once before that worked.

Any suggestions.

Nick

(posted this earlier on 24hr helpdesk - no luck)

Reply to
Nottnick
Loading thread data ...

To the contrary, there *was* one idiotic response and then someone did try to help. You don't just pluck a gateway out of the air and use it. Can you specifically say what your router is and perhaps someone can plug that info into Google and tell you a gateway address.

And just for the record, you waited exactly one hour and eight minutes before posting to another group. Got to give it some time, guy.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Point taken, I hang my head in shame..... In mitigation, I went to 24hr helpdesk, then thought later that maybe there was a wireless NG which would probably be a better place to post, I love the

24hr, a brilliant resource. If I X post, I always say.

Regarding gateway, I have internet access still on home network, so should I be able to find the info myself with google? I have a Belkin adsl wireless router FSD7630. Looked just now myself, but only found reviews. Any help appreciated

Reply to
Nottnick

My neighbor uses a Belkin router and her gateway is 192.168.2.1, give it a shot, can't hurt. Why are you resistant to automatic settings?

Reply to
Rôgêr

I should have been more specific, that setting would be for the computers to use to connect to the router, not for the router itself. If you need the gateway setting for your router to connect through the ISP, you need to check with tech support for the ISP. You are apparently using BT in Europe.

Reply to
Rôgêr

You cannot just pick them randomly. You need to know how they're already being assinged. This is try wired or wirelessly. If you pick an address that's already in use you'll cause both devices to fail. If the subnet offers DHCP them USE IT. If they're not offering DHCP addresses then ASK THEM what address they'll let you use. Do not just pick one yourself as you'll add headaches for you, the other person on the address you hijacked, and the support people that try to find out who did such a stupid thing on their subnet (and come give you a sound LART'ing)

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks Bill

I think I am trying to be too clever anyway, rather than fix the source of the problem, I was trying a quick fix.

In a nutshell.

I've got a successful home network, 4 machines running seamlessly and no connection problems.

I have just installed another machine with a wireless USB adapter.

Unfortunately I only get limited connectivity (and I have no idea why) when it automatically assigns. Incidentally the IP address given is NOT in the series, but seems to be random.

A long time ago this happened to me and instead of using auto configuration, I gave it an IP address (next one on list incrementally). It then worked.

I thought I'd try it again.

What puzzles me now is this.....

I have given an IP address 192.168.2.8 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.2.1

(the IP address of the router is 192.168.2.1 - other machines increment up from this).

Hey, It connects - a strong signal etc. all looking good. (at least that's what it tells me). Workgroup name - just fine - same as other machines. But, will it connect to internet? Will it find router? Will it find network? No!

Can't find firewall or anything on router (and router doesn't recognise it as connected).

So I am now stuck.

Any thoughts??

Help really appreciated.

Nick

>
Reply to
Nottnick

"Nottnick" hath wroth:

Your unspecified router delivers the IP address, gateway address, and DNS server addresses, to your unspecified adapter. If you are getting a "limited connectivity" message, your unspecified router is not successfully delivering these IP addresses. Even if we can guess what your gateway address should be, it will not work without the other numbers.

Suggestions:

1. Kindly disclose what hardware and software you have to work with.
  2. Set your adapter to use DHCP and cease trying to use static IP's on your LAN.
  3. Try temporarily turning off encryption and see if it works. If that fixes the problem, use the Hex WEP key, not the ASCII. Better yet, use WPA-PSK which does not have a problem.

Like the newsgroup name suggests, you have to wait 24 hours for an answer.

Incidentally, I gave up on 24hoursupport.helpdesk years ago. For every correct answer, there were 10 wrong answers and 100 flame wars.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I feel VERY stupid!!

One digit out in WEP key!!

Of course, it all works fine now.

Really grateful for this post as it made me consider the WEP (hadn't realised you could get a connection without).

Nick

Reply to
Nottnick

Nope. It happens.

Well, Microsoft considers the wireless to be "connected" when it finds a suitable SSID. They also don't consider it necessary to supply any connection progress messages or diagnostics. It usually says "connected" followed by "Obtaining an IP address". The only clue you have that the intermediate step of negotiating an encryption key has failed is that it eventually says "Limited Connectivity...". It would have been obvious if MS had included better status and connection progress info. A clue that MS is clueless is that one has to type in the encryption key twice. Entering it twice makes sense for creating an encryption key, where a typo error will prevent furthur access, but not for connecting to a device with an existing key.

Editorial: I don't hold much hope for this to improve. A good example of things to come is what MS did to MS Anti-Spyware (Giant Company Software) when beta 2 was released as "MS Defender". All the status and fine tuning info are gone. No way to tell what it's doing. There isn't even an icon in the system tray to tell if it's actually running. In the tradition of Apple, MS is embraced the "you don't need to know" paradigm. Yech.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ah, well, if it's your own network then you're the admin, do what you please.

Let me guess, it's an address starting with 169? If so that's a self-assigned address based on it not being able to get a DHCP lease. You told it to use DHCP, it tried and when no address got returned it picked one if it's own from the self-assigning range. You need to debug why it didn't get a DHCP address.

Sounds like routing woes.

But try this, remove the device from the software configuration. I'm assuming this is Windows XP? It's in computer management. Do this while the device IS CONNECTED. Then remove the device and reboot. Reinstall the driver software and THEN re-insert the device. This may or may not work. I've seen windows get 'confused' about a device's configuration and refuse to allow itself to be reconfigured. DELETING the device from the software setups and reinstalling, both software and hardware, sometimes lets windows treat it as a 'new' interface and forget the old misconfiguration. There is a way to hack a device like this out of the registry but that's not for the uninitiated.

What do you mean by 'find'? Can't ping? What does a 'ping 192.168.2.1' say on this machine? Does the LED on the router blink when pings are going on? Use 'ping -t 192.168.2.1' to have it ping repeatedly (use Ctrl-C to break it). If you're so inclined, install Ethereal on another machine and watch what packets are hitting the network.

It's entirely possible you've got a defective device on your hands. Try plugging it into another PC and see if it works. If not, and you don't see actual packets on the air, then it's probably the device itself.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.