g parallel print server

Looking for recommendations on above subject. eBay has a motorola wps870g for about $40.00 and there is some good talk about the trendnet tewp1pg. Beyond that I know nothing. I want to put my old HP laser-jet back in service because I'm tired of running out of ink (gold) :-). TIA, RJ

Reply to
RJ
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:53:05 -0600, RJ wrote in :

Can you get an Ethernet interface for your Laserjet? If so, that might be a better bet with a wireless Ethernet (client) bridge than a wireless printer server.

Reply to
John Navas

That Motorola model does NOT do WPA, despite the fact that Motorola claims that it does. There has been much discussion about this. Motorola does not provide any support for WPA. See "

formatting link
" The _only_ parallel print server that supports WPA, and that has USB 2.0 ports (as opposed to USB 1.1 ports) is the D-Link DP-G321. See "
formatting link
" It's $80, see: "
formatting link
" ActionTec had a model with WPA, but the USB ports were only 1.1, and in any case it doesn't appear to be available any longer.

The Trendnet looks okay, but you have to plug it directly into the parallel port. This has two problems. First, if the printer is on a shelf, you have to have more space between the back and the printer to allow for the depth of the print server. Second, you can't position the device for best reception (I guess you could get a Centronics M to Centronics F cable to relocate the device, and these are only $11, see "

formatting link
"). Also, if you ever want to add a USB printer, you can't, as the device only supports one parallel port.

I went through the same thing, wanting to put my old HP LJIII on a wireless network. The other alternative was to get an HP JetDirect interface, then an Ethernet to Wireless adapter. However several people advised that the older JetDirect adapters for the older HP printers, were flakey. Such an arrangement would have also been much more expensive. So I got the D-Link model.

Reply to
SMS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.