Fwd: Newbie for Internet data plan for a Verizon Wireless user.

Hello.

My small family and I have multiple desktop computers and laptops/notebooks (Linux/Debian stable, 2008's MacBook Pro's Mac OS X

10.5.8, and very old Windows XP Pro. SP3) and mobile phones (an Apple iPhone 4S and two LG Cosmos 2). We want to get a back up fast Internet connection in case Time Warner Cable (TWC) goes down which does happen once in a while for hours and is quite annoying. Currently, we use dial-up Internet through Verizon's old copper phone lines on one Windows computer but it is too slow (3 KB/sec average even on various 56k modems

-- it has been like this since the mid 1990s/90s)!

I assume I need an USB wireless modem if needed for emergencies, but 4G type. iPhone 4S uses 3G. Do we connect it to these mentioned phones? How will that work? Are these modems backward compatible? Do we need new phones that we just bought earlier this year?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

goes down

computer but it

that work?

4G MiFi or DSL

"USB wireless modem" ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Ant wrote on [Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:31:25 -0700]:

It would be much cheaper to get a DSL line as backup.

Reply to
Justin

(TWC) goes down

computer but it

that work?

How does one use DSL outside the home to travel with computer devices and mobile phones? Also, DSL is unavailable at home too so that's out.

formatting link
for USB modems to connect computer devices and mobile phones with their Verizon Wireless service.

Oops, thank you for removing my FWD. My first post failed for some reason so I had to repost it. :(

Reply to
Ant

That's the problem. No DSL service here. And how does one travel outside of home with it? I'd like to take it outdoor too if wifi and wired services are unavailable. :(

Reply to
Ant

formatting link

That URL is worthless as it depends on locality.

If DSL is not available I sduggest the 4G MiFi.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Your post doesn't mention anything about you wanting to go mobile with it.

You can tether a phone for I believe an extra $20 a month if you want to do it according to the terms of service. A USB modem will cost somewhere around 40-60 a month and you only get 5GB a month.

With multiple users you could easily use 5GB in a day

Reply to
Justin

We need to move away from using the terminology "USB Modem". If anything it is a "Cellular modem" that tethers to a phone via USB. This way it puts the device in its connection technology like; DUN modem, Cable modem and DSL modem. As we all know many Cable and DSL modems also have a USB port.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I'm not at all familiar with Apple products, so no comment on that aspect. However, there are definitely other options. Android smart phones have the capability to act as a wireless access point. So with that kind of setup, you'l only need a wireless adapter for any computer you wanted to use on the internet. It "think" they can handle up to 5 connections. There's a "got-ya" for that kind of setup, however. I have AT&T wireless and a Samsung Galaxy S-2 phone, and AT&T won't let you use the "access point" option on the pohone unless you go with the maximum data plan, $50/mo for 5 GB.

You can "tether" the phone with a usb cable to a computer with lesser data plans, but that limits you to using only one computer with each phone.

I think Sprint has "unlimited" data access with their plans, so look into what's available and gives a good signal in your area. As to

4G/3G etc, it seems 4G capability includes 4G, 3G, "Edge" etc capability as well, at least with the devices I have.
Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

OK. I don't remember seeing it with Verizon. I will check later.

Reply to
Ant

Oops, sorry. I forgot to note that. I thought I did.

Dang, only 5 GB? So it doesn't use the same 10 GB (maximum plan) in the Verizon Wireless phones?

Yeah, but this is just for emergencies and quick Internet. ;)

Reply to
Ant

Ah, so I should say cellular phones through USB to computers.

Reply to
Ant

Or maybe "USB-connected cellular-data modem" :-) . Like, e.g., the Sierra Wireless (q.v.) AirCard series.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

formatting link
> for USB modems to connect computer devices and mobile phones with

Thanks.

Reply to
Ant

Unless something has changed, the tethering data is in addition to your cellphone data.

Reply to
Justin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.