Frustrating quest for a decent wireless bridge.

After some testing with a PCMCIA wireless network card I like to have a wireless bridge ( client ) for the same purposes as the PCMCIA card is used. No big deal I thought, now I found out, most of these bridges not nearly have the possibilities as any cheapo PCMCIA card or USB dongles have. An IMHO very elementary option to just scan for available networks or hotspots show no signals strength or isn't available at all!? Some senao models (like 3054) looked promising but these simple options like showing the signal strength isn't there according a reseller. (I must say I have a hard time believing that.) Some other models like linksys WET54G have only 60 mWatt from the already limited 100 mWatt allowed.

Hopefully anyone here has a model that suit my needs. What I want is : Use it as a wireless client to be able to connect to hotspots see many abbreviations like P2P multi point and what not. I only want an internet connection from hotspots and connect this bridge to a network ( router ) so that all computers have internet access.

An OS independent model( HTTP configuration )

100 mWatt power connecting a external directional antenna. WEP and WPA B and G band Scanning for available hotspots or networks. See the strength of these networks. See what security they use. Selectable channels preferable working on 12 volts

Outdoor models are fine too as long as it isn't twice or ten times the price from an indoor model.

If there is any analyzing software working with such a wireless bridge that should even be better Suggestions are highly appreciated. If it doesn't met all my wishes but you have a good experience with some model , I like to know about that too.

Sorry for the long story.

Reply to
Edmund
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:53:13 +0000, Edmund wrote in :

Understandable, because functionality of the cheapo PC Card is provided by host software, not embedded firmware.

Consider running third-party firmware (e.g., DD-WRT) in suitable hardware.

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:03:59 +0000, Edmund wrote in :

Because much less tight functionality is possible over Ethernet as compared to a native PC Card interface.

Presumably the cost of implementation and maintenance, versus low demand. If there was a real market, then there would undoubtedly be such products.

The best course is always to start with the software (firmware in this case), then pick whatever hardware it takes to run that software (firmware).

The wikis below have links to principal third-party firmwares. Find what you want, or contribute to a project if you want something that's not already been done, and then look at what hardware you need.

Reply to
John Navas

Edmund hath wroth:

A WRT54G wireless router can be used as a client bridge. It has a web based "site survey" feature with a "join" button to connect. It will also bridge more than one MAC address, which is a useful feature for connecting more than one PC. I can post screen shots if you want them. Other alternative firmware Linux distributions have similar features.

formatting link
You can also scan from the command line using the Linux "wl" command. From a previous posting:

For example, from my palatial office: wl ap 0 (turn off access point mode) wl scan (scan for access points) wl scanresults (display results) wl ap 1 (turn access point mode back on)

SSID: "Mariposa's Art" Mode: Managed RSSI: -89 dBm noise: -99 dBm Channel: 6 BSSID: 00:0D:88:BF:5A:97 Capability: ESS WEP ShortPre ShortSlot Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 11(b) 6 12 24 36 9 18 48 54 ]

SSID: "CMS" Mode: Managed RSSI: -75 dBm noise: -93 dBm Channel: 11 BSSID: 00:11:50:0C:92:F7 Capability: ESS WEP ShortSlot Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 11(b) 18 24 36 54 6 9 12 48 ] WPA: multicast cipher: TKIP unicast ciphers(1): TKIP AKM Suites(1): WPA-PSK No WPA Capabilities advertised

formatting link

100mw is only 2.2dB greater than 60mw. You would do better with a higher gain antenna, than with a power increase. DD-WRT allows you to increase the xmit power to 250mw. There have been reports of chip failures at the high end. I would not go over 150mw.

The WRT54G with DD-WRT will do all this. Do NOT buy the v5 hardware version.

The WRT54G will run on anything between 4.5VDC and about 18VDC.

Outoor models are 10 times the price because of packaging. Purchase a NEMA weatherproof box and do your own packaging.

Scripting is possible with the text mode "wl" command. However, some of the wireless status command do not work while connected. For example, you cannot scan for access points while connected.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Netstumbler simulation for the WRT54G:

formatting link
crude but interesting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:27:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

In part, but economy of scale is an even bigger part. Specialty low-volume SKUs have much higher markups than mass market high-volume SKUs.

Reply to
John Navas

Ok, I can see that, how about software that analyse a wireless client? I don't think that is to much to ask. And why not a scanning mode in a wireless bridge/client or whatever they call it.

That is an option, do you know of a particular model that does what I want with this firmware?

Reply to
Edmund

Great is this with the normal firmware or something else?

Well that seems perfect, I will be out of office until monday, then I buy me a WRT54 G if I can find one.

How can I see which model it is?

I will look at it on monday, so I have to dowload some firmware, then I have to back up the original firmware I think. These commands you are talking about, can I give such commands from any OS or do I need linux for that?

Wife is calling I have to go :-)

Thank you

Reply to
Edmund

Edmund hath wroth:

It's with alternative firmware. I use DD-WRT. See:

formatting link

Please read the documentation on the DD-WRT web site first. The WRT54G v5 model is problem and will barely work. That's all that the retailers seem to have sitting on their shelves. List of supported devices: |

formatting link

Read the documentation on the web site (i.e. the wiki). You can tell by the serial number prefix. See: |

formatting link
a list.

Read the documentation on the wiki on how to install the firmware and please stop guessing. There's no firmware backup proceedure. |

formatting link
are also some oddities and special proceedures for specific versions and versions.

From any OS. I used Windoze "telnet" to connect to the router, log in, and issue commands. If you have to ask this question, I think you will have a long learning curve dealing with command line programs. This may be a bit much for you. Fortunately, the web interface is adequate for just finding access points and connecting. Here's a screen shot. |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all info, I learned a lot here. Maybe this is useful for someone else too so here is what I have got so far. This is what I was looking for:

-------------------

---------------------

Today I received my Linksys WRT54GL version 1.1 This model must be compatible with the dd-wrt firmware. I just patched it with the mini dd-wrt firmware and it looks really neat. Just to be sure what version firmware I can use I have to read a little more but so far so good. Thanks guys!

Reply to
Edmund

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.