From what distance can an unprotected system be accessed?

I have a Netgear router for networking 2 comps in the house. Because I'm finding it impossible to setup the Brother's MFC 7840-W onto the network, I'm forced to keep the network open. The nearest houses from me are least 100 feet away from mine. Do I have to worry about someone at that distance accessing my comp?

Reply to
tedD
Loading thread data ...

Yup.

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Since this is a wireless group, I'll assume it's wireless Netgear router. Model number please?

2 computers connected via wired or wireless?

Nope. You made the mistake of reading the instructions.

The problem is that this printer is *EITHER* wired or wireless, not both. There are two ways to make it work:

1. Play with the front panel menus until you are able to connect to your unspecified model Netgear router via wireless. If it fails to connect, update the firmware in your unspecified model Netgear wireless router, and possibly in the printer. I sometimes have problems with either WPA or WPA2. I suggest you try changing the encryption type in the Netgear router to see which one works. Don't use WEP as it's totally insecure.

The problem with this scheme is that if you're using a wireless connection from your computah and a wireless connection to the printer, both are on the same channel. It will work, but might be a bit slow in printing.

1. A better way is to simply ignore the wireless part of the printer and just connect an ethernet cable between the printer and router. This works every time.

Yep. Leeches like to use high gain directional antennas, that will easily work at that distance. Your best form of wireless security is a proper WPA/WPA2 encryption key. Use it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Network connection instructions:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.