Frequent Disconnects on a Motorola WR850G

recently purchased a Motorola WR850G (V3 which I upgraded to firmware

5.13)) to replace a trusty old Siemens Speedstream 2624 (V1) wireless router. The main reason for the upgrade was to go from 802.11b to 802.11g. Ever since I have installed this new router I have had a lot of disconnects. Whenever a disconnect event occurs I run a site survey tool and it shows that my router is gone (rebooting?). NetStumbler shows that it is there but the signal is intermittent (on for a few samples then off, then on again). I cannot connect to the router for a few minutes, then it will suddenly be OK. It seems that the problem occurs more often at night time (I'm not sure why that has anything to do with it--maybe because it gets more use at night?). At first I thought interference was causing the disconnects. A site survey from my client and from the router show 4 routers in range on channels 6, 7, 11 and 11. I am on channel 1 so I should be OK as far as other routers causing interference. I never had these problems with the Seimens router (that thing was very reliable). Has anyone else with a WR850G had these kinds of problems? If so, were you able to fix them? Any suggestions for debugging this problem?

Wireless Clients: USB Motorola WU830G (Windows WZC) PCI Xterasys XN-2523G (Vendor's config tool)

Both clients show the same disconnect problems. The WR850G router is OpenWRT compatible, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms. I like having a nice GUI to set my router settings.

Reply to
Bryant Smith
Loading thread data ...

I suppose it could be interference from wireless phone, but why would it affect one router and not the other? I have updated all of drivers and firmware (where possible). My current line of thought is unstable firmware in the router or one of the clients. If I do a long file transfer from a wired computer to a wireless computer (in otherwords lots of constant use), the connection will every 10 minutes or so. Under minimal use it can go hours without problems.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Just some thoughts:

Any chance of a neighbor using a wireless phone? Checked for driver/firmware updates? Tried another channel even though you are alone on ch1? Power fluctuations in the house?

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.