Free Wireless

Wireless rules!

I randomly bought a 802.11g Belkin PCI Wireless adaptor with external antenna got it home opened the box and plugged it in, installed the driver and rebooted. All of a sudden i had a free internet connection!

Anonymous too (to a certain extent)

anyway thought i would prove to people that free internet can be obtained through the use of wireless

Reply to
Chronic
Loading thread data ...

As for anonymous bear in mind that as soon as you send any data that contains personal information, for example an email address then that could start the ball rolling for your identity to be determined, if the host starts to do a bit of sniffing.

Probably it won't happen. Doing this when you're on the move is one thing but sitting at home using your neighbours connection raises the chance.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

But, if the connection has not been secured in anyway, then (in the UK at any rate) it can be interpreted as an invitation to use the service - I am aware of one case whereby the miscreant got away with it because he got a DHCP address from the wireless setup and was allowed to access the internet - his argument was that there were no controls on access so how was he to know!

SK

Reply to
GrnOval

That's not the case at all, there have already been legal cases in the UK to state otherwise.

For example:-

formatting link

Please provide a link to support your claim. There is no such interpretation that if it's not secured, you're welcome.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yawn.

There are free wireless access points in many places, eg, some restaurants now offer them to entice customers to come and stay and drink many gallons of coffee. Go use those instead of stealing your neighbour's signal.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

There's a law review article on the situation in the U.S.:

formatting link
I haven't read it closely and it seems to deal more with severe crimes rather than leeching of a neighbors connection, but the author does mention that some courts have refused to apply traditional criminal sanctions against trespass and theft. In the case of theft, for instance, it is sometimes said that no theft has been committed so long as one leaves behind the original document one has copied without authorization.

Reply to
Reynolds531

Other opinions, including those of lawyers and law enforcement officials I've consulted, differ; e.g.,

:

On the state level it could be more clear. "It's unlawful access", said John Geraty, an officer with the Internet crimes against children unit of the San Francisco Police Department.

According to Geraty, using your neighbor's wireless is specifically prohibited in the California penal code. "It's not yours and you're taking it," he says.

He's apparently referring to California Penal Code section 502.

Reply to
John Navas

I hope no one leaves their vehicle running with the door open! Does this mean it is a free vehicle? 8^o

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Theft is the permanent denial of something belonging to someone else. This is why joyriding of cars over here isn't classed as theft. They only intended on taking the car for a while. The fact that they never give it back in the same place they took it from, in the condition it was taken seems irrelevant.

I don't see how you can return bandwidth that the other person has paid for.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

theft n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale). ...

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.