free access point

I have a Netgear WGR614v5... I have it password-ed now... but I was wondering if there's a way to open up a limited bandwidth guest type account for my neighbors.

I've been reading their documentation, and I don't see any way to do this.

Reply to
Ben Lebovitz
Loading thread data ...

"Ben Lebovitz" hath wroth:

To do bandwidth limiting in the router, it needs to have some type of QoS (quality of service) features. I don't think the WRG614v5 has this. Sorry.

Argh. You must be desperate. Nobody ever reads the documentation unless they're desperate.

If you don't mind adding another computer to your system, I suggest you try:

formatting link
's not really a bandwidth manager, but is capeable of acting as one. It's probably cheaper and easier to buy a router that has QoS, but DummyNet might work long enough for you to get fed up with the neighbors midnight calls asking if the Internet is up.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

eeeh, I just wanted to be a nice guy and give them a free, open, access point. Hmm, I'm not buying a new router, seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

Maybe future versions of the Netgear firmware will have QoS features. It would be super neat if I could just give limited bandwidth to anyone, but if it sees one of my MAC address's then it gives that machine full access.

thanks anyway, Ben

Reply to
Ben Lebovitz

"Ben Lebovitz" hath wroth:

Well, a Linksys WRT54G wireless router has QoS and costs about $50 online. (Don't get a WRT54G that's v5 hardware). You could sell the Netgear, buy a Linksys, and charge the freeloaders an initial connection charge to help pay for the upgrade.

Here's what it looks like inside: |

formatting link
Also, with alternative firmware from DD-WRT, you can become part of the open FON network: |
formatting link
They only charge $25 for a pre-configured WRT54Gv4.

MAC address filtering isn't really all that secure as MAC addresses are easily spoofed. |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What are your neighbours like? If they are "silver surfers" then just give them unlimited access. Chances are you won't even notice they are sharing your broadband. If they are kids it might be different.

I'd be more concerned about the security angle. Got any shared folder on your PC?

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.