? for Jeff L.

Jeff,

You (although you're nearly as old as I am) seem to really have your finger on the pulse of available networking gear.

I'm looking for a low-cost solution to stream 1080p over ethernet cabling.

I'd (probably, unless you think not) prefer to have an IP solution, but if there's a low-cost balun solution available, I have some dedicated (well, dedicatable) runs in the plenum to do it.

The distance is less than 30 meters.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Loading thread data ...

Huh? yawn...errr...ah...ummm... yes?

Nope. I'm in the repair business this week. Because I only see broken equipment and bugs, I know everything there is to know about things that DON'T work. It's kinda like asking an auto repair shop what car to buy. Find out what cars they work on, and then buy something else.

I can't help you. I've never done that, never tried that, few of my customers are doing that, and the one's that are doing it, are all video pirates. You sould do better in the video forums (fora?).

Ummm... what manner of connector or interface is your HDTV using? My guess(tm) would be HDMI. CAT5 is nothing more than 110 ohm cable. No need for IP unless you wanna do it over the internet. For that, get a Streambox or similar device. You'll need an active device to do the job:

Lots more... Google for "HDMI over CAT5".

This might be worth reading (I don't know because I didn't read it):

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: ....

Thanks, Jeff. My primary reason for wanting to transmit via IP was so that the signal would not suffer losses beyond those inherent in the encoding scheme if the link changed length, number of 'hops' (junction boxes, in this case), etc. In reality, I don't often touch things that are working right; so it probably wouldn't change.

The reason for wanting to do it via CAT5 is just to get all the "junk" remote from the wall-hung HD panel. Ideally, it'll all be in a small pivoting credenza between our two lazy chairs.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ummm... HDMI is digital, not analog. See description at:

As long as you don't destroy the digital information in some creative way, what comes out is exactly the same as what went in.

More on extending HDMI. See links at bottom of page:

There's a Canadian comedy show on TV called The Red Green Show. One of the better quotes is "If it ain't broke, you're not trying". My version of Learn By Destroying is that if you haven't destroyed it and repaired it, you don't understand how it works.

Ummm.... I don't understand. HDTV is the latest in high tech and has a few years to go before it will be replaced by something better and considered "junk". Anyway, I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

anyone for Super Hi-vision (4320 line TV)?

i saw the demo at IBC last week in Amsterdam

formatting link

unbelieveable video quality but at least a long way from general use

formatting link
?articleID=210601412&pgno=1

Reply to
Stephen

Very nice. I'm sure it will sell to the videophiles (video version of audiophile). However, there's a problem. Perception is everything. I went to Costco a while back and there was demo of HDTV versus "conventional" TV on two adjacent monitors. Each was fed with a different DirecTV satellite receiver, one with HDTV (1080i) and the other with standard resolution (480i)

The problem was, I couldn't tell the difference. There was a running discussion between the sales droid and several customers. Apparently, they couldn't tell the difference either, but were to embarassed to admit it. While the discussion was running, I went over to the big

35"(?) display and punched the "menu" button. Both were running 720p instead of 1080p (which officially is HD resolution) because DirecTV was temporarily broadcasting some old content that was not available in HDTV resolution (or forgot to turn on the upconverter).

Incidentally, I have a handy optical gadget I built to attach to my cell phone. It turns the built in crappy camera into a equally crappy microscope. I can take gainy photos of small objects with my dismal digital cell phone camera. That include enlarging the pixels on LCD displays. You don't really how bad todays displays can be until you've enlarged the dots. You can have all the resultion you want, but if the pixels look like squashed roadkill, the picture is gonna suck.

OLED is what I want:

I've also tinkered with wavious borrowed HDTV projectors. They're very nice, but have some problems. They get too hot and the fan noise is a PITA. They require a darkened room. Short lifetime on the bulbs. MEM (DLP) technology is big improvement, but they still aren't suitable for Joe Sixpack (or me).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In the tinkering I guess you hadn't had a high-gain screen ? A screen with a 2.5 gain is 250% brighter than a standard 0 gain. And, from what I hear, makes a huge difference whatching a projection during the day, with the shades opened, although you do lose some viewing angle.

Reply to
DanS

Playstation3 on the receiving end. A big fat Mac Pro with some big fat hard drives at the other. I think that's what you're asking. I'm not sure how low-cost that is. The PS3 is dirt cheap, considering what it gives you.

Reply to
Warren Oates

I have no clue what type of projector screen I was using. Everyone involved seemed to have either a roll down type projection screen, or a left over dinosaur from the days of slide projectors. Viewing angle was very good (my guess = 150 degrees), so I suspect they were fairly ordinary screens. I've never seen projection HDTV on a high gain screen. The ones at the local dealers (Circuit City and Best Buy) are in semi-darkened rooms. They do seem brighter than what I was tinkering with, but I need a side by side comparison to be sure.

Incidentally, this is what I was trying to do (and haven't done):

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Gefen has some products that do this, but they are not necessarily cheap.

formatting link
You might be better off just running a long HDMI cable.

formatting link
would be another excellent place to ask.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wow...I never new there was a market for civilian flight simulator cockpit's !!! To me that's just way over-the-top. A friend of mine does his FS on 3 LCD's side-by-side, and I thought that a bit much.

Regards,

DanS

Reply to
DanS

Mine has only two LCD's at present. No room on my desk for more which is another motivation for the projector system. 8 LCD screens is common as that's the limit for some FS software.

Note the projection system at the bottom of the page.

This should keep you busy for a while. Lots of home built cockpits:

There are also some videos on YouTube of various flight simulators in action. Most use multiple LCD monitors. However, methinks a projection screen would be better and cheaper. I would prefer rear projection on ground plastic windows, but don't want to modify a borrowed projector.

Software for running multiple monitors:

The panels and instruments are easy enough to build (from plywood) but the controls are a problem. The supply of crashed or obsolete yokes, pedals, throttle clusters, etc is limited. However, the market is growing sufficiently to attact vendors:

Don't panic at the prices. It's not unusual to spend $15,000 and up on a simulator suitable for a flight skool. There's also someone selling CAD drawings with APT files of common cockpit arrangments suitable for having a machine shop build one. Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.