"flash" means ??

That is short for "Follow the instructions". The whole process of upgrading firmware is referred to as "flashing", because the non-volatile RAM is also called a "flash ROM".

The long instructions would be to click on the "choose" button, then use the dialog box or whatever they call it that appears to select the file name for the firmware binary. The HyperWRT binary I have, for example, is named "HyperWRT_2.0b4_G.bin". Once you find it, if you click on the file name, causing it to be highlighted, you can click on the "open" button to get rid of the dialog box. The box for the file name is shorter than the file's name, so you might not be able to verify that you have the right one. Go to the bottom of the page and click on "upgrade", which starts the "flash" process.

It warns you not to stop it during the process. If it does stop there might be ways to recover, but you *don't* want to learn how to do them! The best policy at that point is to move back from the computer about two feet, and guard it from kids, cats dog, humans, falling trees and yourself. Don't touch the keyboard and threaten anything that might with death.

It takes a little more than a minute to do with a 3+ meg file. And then it takes a few seconds while the WRT54G reboots. You can watch the front panel lights to tell when it is finished booting. At that point it's back to "default" settings, so you'll have to access it at 192.168.1.1, and if you do that from the LAN ports you'll need to use DHCP to configure the host NIC, or use as static IP address in the 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.50 range.

I would highly suggest looking at the Sveasoft firmware too. It is significantly more developed, particularly for those who like to use the web interface. HyperWRT is okay if you want a minimal system and don't intend on downloading the software and doing any development on your own.

My biggest complaint Sveasoft's Alchemy v1.0 is that it does not allow mounting nfs filesystems. Next was that is has a vi but no emacs. And third is that the telnetd implementation doesn't allow turning off software flow control. The lack of nfs is serious, but the other two are of little significance to most people. (I've added those to mine, but it was not trivial.)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

Install instructions for HyperWRT say in part "Go to Administration->Firmware Upgrade, browse to HyperWRT, and flash it."

What does "flash it" mean?

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Agreed. I have a spare UPS on my desk for doing router flash and computah flash bios upgrades. I had the AC power hickup on me once in the middle of flashing a bios. I was able to recover but it was not fun. Actually, I'm suppose to have the entire workbench running on a UPS but the batteries finally died and I haven't replaced them.

Also, don't try to do the route flash thing over the wireless. It will screw up. Use a direct CAT5 LAN cable instead.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't have that, and when I've flashed computers or modems at home, it has scared me to death! When I was working, and had a

10KW UPS handy, I did that kind of thing on protected power at work...

These Linksys units aren't too bad because it is possible to recover from a bad load. But most modems and computer motherboards require a new BIOS chip or a trip to the factor repair location.

Good point. Wireless is several times more risky.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

For a long time I could brag that I hadn't had any problems flashing computer BIOS's. Then the law of averages decided to pay me a visit. With the cost of motherboards now under $50 for semi-decent equipment, I just toss them if a flash goes bad. And I don't try to flash unless that's the last resort to get something working.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.