Firewall Question

I am running a Linksys WRT54GS router with 2 machines attached with CAT 5 running Windows XP. One machine can access the Internet and the other machine can't and displays the message "Internet Explorer cannot display this web page" By playing around I discovered if I turn off the firewall on the router I can access the Internet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be.

Reply to
Charlie
Loading thread data ...

Is the windows firewall on or off on the offending computer? Leaving the router firewall in place and turning off the windows firewall can work wonders.

Reply to
rieker

"Charlie" hath wroth:

You might want to run: Start -> Run -> cmd IPCONFIG If the IP address of the 2 machines are 192.168.1.xxx, then it's working and I don't have a clue why it's broken.

If the IP address of *ONE* of the machines is a routeable IP address (other than 169.254.xxx.xxx), then you have successfully miswired the CAT5 cables. Connect the "internet" or "WAN" port on the WRT54G to the cable or DSL modem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

"Charlie" hath wroth:

Ok, that's normal assuming that your idea of "valid private IP" is the same as mine. (Assumption, the mother of all screwups).

Do you have Norton Internet Security or a similar personal firewall installed? It will block by what it considers a LAN IP address block. It's probably configured for a direct connection to the internet (routeable IP's), but not for your local private IP LAN. Try temporarily disarming the monster and try again.

Also, there are some versions of such personal firewall products that often don't get completely uninstalled. If it had an older version of McAfee security installed, check if there's still some residue: start -> run -> cmd msconfig -> startup programs

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Charlie" hath wroth:

Are you sure? If you had for example Norton Internet Security installed and configured for direct internet access, it would require adding an additional "zone" for the local LAN IP block. If this wasn't done, or was set to intentionally consider the local LAN as insecure, the symptoms would be exactly as you describe. Try installing Startup Inpsector for Windoze:

formatting link
see what's starting on your machine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I downloaded the WindowsStatrup program and checked every entry. I only have

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.