FIOS actiontec router problem (MI424WR)

I have had this modem for a couple of months and it has been working fine. Last night, the power went out (could be unrelated) and today the wireless portion was not working. I logged into the router and went to the wireless settings, and the ENABLE RADIO was off. I turned it back on and clipped apply. It shows it on, but when I switch to the status window, the radio is ON again. I did this several times.

I did a factory reset- same problem. I looked at the log and noticed that flash was updated a week or so ago. I restored the old flash, same problem. Brought it back to latest flash.

Called Verizon- no answer. No way to email them on their website. Horrible support in my opinion.

Any idea on how to turn the radio on?

Reply to
wpiman2
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
BigJim

There is a telnet command line you can use on the router. No idea what commands to use, but there is a help feature.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Good thinking.

Although I tried to turn on the telnet server- and that stays enabled- but when I telnet to the box it just shuts down the window. I did this on the LAN side, I will give it a shot from the WAN today.

I have telnetted to this thing in the past-- I think it is completely shot. Does FIOS have stores like Cable companies do?

Reply to
wpiman2

I don't think it'll work from the WAN side. At least not without deliberately enabling it via the web interface.

I think most of the Verizon corporate stores (not a 3rd party reseller) also support FIOS. Check via the Verizon website and then CALL THE STORE FIRST. They may have ones you can swap out. I happened to get lucky and the tech had an extra one on him when they brought my cablecards out. See if there's a FIOS truck in the neighborhood and hit 'em up for a spare.

I haven't looked into it at all but have you considered downgrading the firmware? Do that, reset the router to factory defaults and THEN upgrade it again. I've seen issues with other brand routers that have trouble dealing with "left over" settings from a previous firmware. Especially if the setting changes were anything beyond the most basic of config options. Don't know that it'd work for your problem but it might be worth a shot.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Holly Crap! I have the exact same problem! I tried turning the wireless "ON" and I hit apply, but when I look at the Wireless Status, it shows it as beeing OFF. Did you figure this out? Nothing really changed on my machine. I did notice we had some cirucuit breakers blown for the house, so I had to flip those on. I suppose it is possible there was a power surge even though there was no storm. I'm curious as to the cause of this problem, and as to why it does not turn back on! It's driving me crazy. I've been through every setup screen and link on the router setup and I cannot find anything else that needs to be set.

Anyone have a resolution for this? I called Verizon 3 times. Each time I went through all the promts and then a recorded voice tells me they have high call volumn and to call back at another time. It then disconnected me! I cant believe it. It's not enough that your willing to wait anymore for hours, they just hang up on you now!

Anyways, did you resolve this? Did anyone else?

Reply to
robinbriggs

Good to know it isn't just me. No fix yet. I have another WAP so it isn't a huge priority.

Reply to
wpiman2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.