Finding wireless hotspots in Europe (Screw JiWire)

I'm so fed up with JiWire. If you are too and need to find hotspots when you travel I found a much better alternative. Dowza,

formatting link
I don't work for the company, I just think its so damn cool I had to post this. Read on for why JiWire sucks...

I'm a US citizen taking a year off to ride through Europe on a CBR600 I bought in London. I started in December with a laptop and a digital camera and essentials. I took along JiWire's hotspot finder so I would know where to go to get connected. So far the downloaded version has sent me to no less than 20 outdated locations where the hotspot they said was free either no longer exists or is no longer free. The online version is no better. There are so many places in Europe (I'm in Amsterdam now) that have WiFi but don't advertise it. Its not always as easy as it is in the US where all you have to do is find a Starbucks. JiWire's list of hotspots in Amseterdam is a joke. So far only two are still active. To find those locations I had to run around to five other places listed in JiWire to find out that the service was shutdown or went to a paid service. (Eurospot is a ripoff by the way).

Every single hotspot that I've gone to based on a dowza search was there as was free like it said! I found the current place I'm in now, Cafe Dwaze Zaken, on Dowza.

Anyway... yeah Dowza, screw JiWire.

Reply to
zx6r_rocketboy
Loading thread data ...

Check out this.. Its a small device (fits on a keychain), under $30, won't tell if a node is open, but tells you where there is a signal and you can look around and ask...

formatting link
I gave up on lists (ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS (did I say ALWAYS) outdated).. While the WiFI seeker isn't the best (A PDA with WiFi and a sniffer prog that connects is way better, but also costs a LOT more), it sure beats the heck out of lists... And since you are driving, chances are you will always have your keychain (if you lose your keys/keychain, fraid you are up dodo creek without a paddle, WiFI is the least of your worries :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

seems exclusively cloudy sponsored sites

Reply to
TEAL'C

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.