Find mac address but no TCP IP

Apologies if this is a bit simple, but I can't find the mac address of my wireless PC card (on my laptop). I've tried ipconfig/all (I run XP) but the wireless card does not appear. I have another bit of software from my internet provider that says the wireless pc card is NOTCPIP (I assume this means no TCP/IP). However, the wireless card works fine (I've been using it for over a year!) I can find the wired network card (which also works fine). Any suggestions?

Reply to
Anthony Waller
Loading thread data ...

I've now tried, but unfortunately mine doesn't. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Reply to
Midgeley

my router-AP shows mac's of wireless clients connected

Reply to
bumtracks

you changed names

i dunno... In your winXP box, what is the make & model of this no mac wifi nic ? guess you've done c:> ipconfig /all > c:myIpcfg.txt and read the text output.

or you can download Wntifpcfg.exe from Microsoft's Web site, install it in the windowssystem32 directory and rename it winipcfg.exe. Then you can type "winipcfg" at the command line.

you might want to look in your control panels network settings and see if you have an adapter & tcp installed for the nic ... maybe uninstall and reinstall it after noting the settings.

Reply to
bumtracks

Reply to
bumtracks

type getmac at a command prompt.

formatting link

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

formatting link

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Open your Network Connections. Right click on your wireless connection and click on Properties. Click on the support Tap and under connection status click on the Details Button. Your MAC address is listed were it says "Physical Address"

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I've tried getmac (I run XP Pro). I've tried using any of the mac addresses I find on my wireless network to reduce access and none work. I know the router works restricitng access by mac address because I've tried with another laptop with built in wireless and it does work. I've tried through network connections (thanks, because I didn't realise you could get mac addresses this way) but it just comes up blank. Must be something to do with the setup of my wireless pc card. I'll try another way to get secure backups across my wireless network (what I'm trying to do). Thanks again all for your assistance.

Reply to
Midgeley

I wasn't aware the version of windows was specified beyond XP. Can't stand that home edition anyway ;-)

Surely if you use the card to get the internet tcpip would have to be installed?

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Are you sure the card is working at all and not dead? That's pretty much what a laptop with built in wireless will do when the switch is turned off (or the built in WiFi chip takes a dump) and ipconfig /all is done (no card shows on the list, no mac address, and of course no workee).

Got a spare card/usb device around, or can you borrow one? Is there a smaller repair place around that will let you test things? How bout a place with a hotspot (free or paid, just see if the opening screen even comes up, will let you know if the wireless is even working)

In my experience, the #1 problem is usually people *assuming* that since it worked before it MUST be working now, and not checking... (Like car mechanics.. but the car can't not start and be dead, it's worked perfectly for 4 years!)

Reply to
Peter Pan

What operating system are you using? Is Windows controlling the cards or the configuration utility that came with the cards? For the moment, I'll assume that you're using Windows XP.

1. When you're connected to the internet, look to the bottom right corner of your TASK BAR next to the Windows clock. Hopefully, you'll see an icon representing two computer or one computer emitting a signal. If you place the cursor over the icon, it should say Local area connection (if using an ethernet cable) or wireless network connection.
  2. Double-click on the icon. After the window appears, you should see two tabs. . The first tab is GENERAL and the second tab is SUPPORT. Click the SUPPORT tab. From there, you should see your IP address.
Reply to
Doug Jamal

begin 644 untitled.JPG M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`0$`8`!@``#_VP!#``@&!@'EZ@H.$ MA8:'B(F*DI.4E9:7F)F:HJ.DI::GJ*FJLK.TM;:WN+FZPL/$QC#M6GLJ*DHM*[_`$_X:0!#M8*Q/S%^R:/_P!//_?0_P`*/LFC_P#3 MS_WT/\\*IW$0@N9H5FCF$?\\`OH?X4:/H]SK5S-%!)#$D$#W$\\TS[4BC4[FA]DT?\\`Z>?^^A_A1]DT?_IY_P"^A_A6?SZT?\\`OH5G\\^IHY]31 M["G_`"A[WL8YI]?PU:,J:BX\\N MWFT:ULHC@:E.\\O9NSM^'R/0I-;TK^V].76-4T_4)%UN>>%HF646UH8V M$2L5'R8?RS@^F>QK!TV>=]8@D\\0>);6^NK>VN&MOLVH!`)CT5YH\\&-6R_&"QR M67.WKSTJ71=>M8?#5F[W>GM,9+I] M3@OKY;5;EG.06!B=I.#QMQ@C'/;A_P"R-D6&L06FNZ3!J\\T-N]O>"Y0QQ+YF94\\WE0VW MJ`3VQ5V^\\2V=H/&U]H>H06SW%U8K8O&P5ICO`E,8/WNLAR.QSWS7)?V1KG_0 M"U3_`,`W_P`*/[(US_H!:I_X!O\\`X5,\\- snipped-for-privacy@V6OZ2CBX.L:

Reply to
Doug Jamal

My apologies, you wanted to locate the MAC address. Well, you can either try looking on the back of your notebook card or you can follow the instructions on my last post with the following addition.

a. After clicking on the SUPPORT tab, click on the DETAILS button in the middle of the screen. You will see PHYSICAL ADDRESS. The physical address IS your MAC address.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

You say you're looking for the MAC, but unless the WAP has mac filtering on, that is really unimportant. The nameless card with nameless drivers isn't working. The FCC ID would be of more interest to anyone trying to help you.

Reply to
dold

Mr. Waller, did you ever locate the MAC address? I've noticed that you

haven't posted anything in a while.

Reply to
doug Jamal

Mr. Waller, did you ever locate the MAC address?

Reply to
doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.