Filter Ident port 113

Some mail servers use IDENT to authenticate the sending machine. My ancient UUCP over TCP system does that and will not work with IDENT turned off. If your email stops working, IDENT may be the problem. Systems using a Squid cache also tend to use IDENT as it's on by default.

Some reading:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I am finding that my wireless connection to my linksys router will not work if I have this option on:

Filter IDENT (Port 113)

Prevents outside intruders from attacking the router through the internet > using service port 113.  Select Enable to prevent attack through this service > port.  However, some applications may require this service port to be > available. If needed, uncheck to allow those applications to work

What am I risking by trying that off? Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing

formatting link

Reply to
Jefferis NoSpamme

"> >I am finding that my wireless connection to my linksys router will not work

The way I steath my 113 is to assign it as a distributed server with an unused IP in my subnet. Everything works and Shields up show it as stealth. http:\\

formatting link
Granted it works on my asante router but no guarantee on yours.

Reply to
Airhead

FWIW, two more links about ident that I scoured from a thread on identd in comp.protocols.tcp-ip:

My router has a setting to reject IDENT requests if no DMZ or packet filter for port 113 has been established. It's better to provide a formal rejection to an IDENT request rather than just ignoring it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.