File Sharing Between Wired and Wireless Computers

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem and worked through it.

I have a Belkin 802.11b wireless router, with 4 wired Ethernet ports on the back. I have desktop computer wired into the router, while I have a laptop computer that connects wirelessly. Both computers run Windows XP Home, and can access the Internet great, but I haven't been able to get file sharing to work 100%. The wired computer can view the files of the laptop, but the laptop cannot view anything on the desktop. Here's what I have tried:

Going to My Network Places, and clicking 'View workgroup computers' (Both computers have the same workgroup name). When I do this from the laptop, I get an error message saying that "You may not have permission to use this resource" and "Windows cannot find the network path".

Typing 'Dell' in the address bar (Dell is the name of the wired computer). This gets me another error message: "Windows cannot find 'Dell'

I believe that I have opened all the ports necessary (TCP 129 and 445, UDP 137 and 138) in my firewalls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Douglas
Loading thread data ...

What I have found that sometimes works when you dont know what else to do is to: Select a folder on your desktop and add it to sharing, you will then get some windows that open to configure sharing. Just tell it to share with the other PCs and wallllloh it starts working. Of course if it doesnt work then, make sure file and print sharing is selected correctly in the adapter settings.

Reply to
Airhead

"Airhead" wrote in news:41b25fc1$0$797$ snipped-for-privacy@news.cablerocket.com:

Check the Windows firewall settings on the wired computer. Looks like a firewall problem. If you are using Zone Zlarm, check that it recognizes the network as a trusted zone.

Reply to
Colin

I tried your suggestion, but the configuration wizard didn't pop up, probably because I had gone through it previously. On the subject of the adapter settings:

I went to the Network Connection properties from the control panel, and saw that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" was checked on the laptop with a white background, but on the wired computer it is checked with a grey background. Doesn't that usually mean that some, but not all components have been installed. I tried to find a way to install the other components, but I couldn't find one. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had turned off all firewalls temporarily.

Reply to
Douglas

If WEP is enabled on the wireless NIC, then you may have a problem communicating wire and wireless due to the NIC protocol being used. If Netbeui is the protocol, then un-install it off the NIC(s) on the machines. You can use NWlink as the protocol on the NIC(s) or just leave Netbeui off the NIC.

I run with the following on the NIC(s):

1) Client for MS Networks 2) F & P S for MS Networks 3) QoS Packet Scheduler 4) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I use to run with NWlink but found that I didn't need it.

HTH

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You also need TCP port 139.

Make sure "Use Netbios over TCP" and "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" are both enabled on your connections. The settings are per connection, so if your wireless uses USB or PCMCIA you'll need to check the settings individually for each slot or port you want to be able to use.

Make sure the computer browser service is running on all machines. It is sensitive to firewall settings and shuts itself off if it doesn't like something.

I have a similar problem ... I completely lost the ability to browse my network when I installed SP2 on my WinXP machines (I have 3 running XPpro, 1 XPhome and 1 Win2K - 2 are wired and 3 are wireless). I can connect the shares using IP addresses and can resolve names statically by editing the hosts file on each machine but dynamic name resolution no longer works on any of them.

I have no answer to it as yet.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.