File sharing

Are they part of the same workgroup? Any Firewalls running?

following;

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I am running two laptops that have wireless NIC cards installed, both are connecting wirelessly and perfectly to the internet ( going to the router and then thru a cable modem)

My problem is file sharing, on one machine my network places shows my shared files on a network called "homer" - shows a folder called homer on laptop 1

On laptop 2 I try sharing folders to the network this seems to work, but when I go to my network places on this machine it says the following;

"homer is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. the list of servers for this work group is currently not available".

I am running identical windows XP V2 software and identical NIC hardware.

Any help would be appreciated

Pel.

Reply to
Pel

I have a loosely related problem. Cable modem, linksys WRT54G router to desktop (wired) and laptop wireless. WinXP Home on both. With SP2.,

Doesn't SP2 have firewall? Or does the router have one?

I tried to set up file sharing from the laptop and wrecked the connection. Got it back by going back to old settings and monkeying around...don't really know just what action restore connection.

Is there a simple set of instruction to set up filesharing?

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Thank you for replying.

Yes they are the same workgroup and I am running Norton as a firewall.

Pel

Reply to
Pel

Thanks for the reply.

SP2 does have a firewall but I am not running it as I am using Norton

Reply to
Pel

"Pel" wrote in news:tiDmd.52343$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Resource sharing under Windows relies on communication on ports 137,

138, 139. The most common reason for resources not being "seen" by other systems in the same workgroup is that something, usually a software firewall, is blocking communication on these ports.

Most software firewalls have either an explicit option to allow traffic on these ports (for file and print sharing), or make it fairly easy to configure, usually by a rule or 'trusted zone' to allow traffic between defined IP addresses.

Assuming you are behind a NAT router, then unless you're feeling paranoid, it's usually pretty safe to allow all traffic between all addresses in the router's subnet.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Having the same problem, what would the IP addresses be? I don't see an option in Zone Alarm for trusting ports. I have my desktop into Ethernet 1 in my Linksys BEFW11S4 and my laptop into a WPC11 notebook adaptor.

-------------------------------------------------------- "Writers even write the silences" -J. Michael Straczynski

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Kurt Ullman) wrote in news:VaSmd.29017 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Can't claim to be an expert on ZoneAlarm (I use Sygate), but I undertstand:

- you can use the Network Configuration Wizard to set your private network into the Trusted Zone

- or do it by hand. Suggest you add the whole of your local network, unless you are unduly paranoid. This will allow all communication between systems behind the router. To do this:

1. Select Firewall | Zones
  2. Click Add, then select Subnet from the shortcut menu The Add Subnet dialogue appears
  3. Select Trusted from the Zone drop-down list
  4. Type the IP address (my router's subnet is 192.168.0.0) in the first field, and the Subnet mask (255.255.255.0) in the second field
  5. Type a description (eg Local Network) in the field provided, then click OK

If you are feeling a tad paranoid, you could just add the IP addresses which are in use:

1. Select Firewall | Zones.
  2. Click Add, then select IP address from the shortcut menu. The Add IP Range dialogue appears.
  3. Select Trusted from the Zone drop-down list.
  4. Type the beginning IP address in the first field, and the ending IP address in the second field. For example, if you have the router + 2 PCs and are using DHCP, they will (by default on my router) have the addresses
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.3. Use these addresses in the two fields.
  1. Type a description (eg Local Network) in the field provided, then click OK

I have the whole subnet as 'trusted'. The main reason is for simplicity: I have a goodly number of IP addresses in use, the low ones allocated by DHCP and high ones allocated as static IP addresses. I use the whole subnet, then I never need to add or change anything. I did of course monitor the firewall logs for a period to ensure that the router was giving me protection from incoming baddies

- and I am happy that it is.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

On the firewall tab,select Zones and add your entire lan to the trusted zone, or add the two computers one by one. No idea what the addy range is for your linksys, type "IPCONFIG" at a command prompt to find the addresses.

The place you trust ports is in the Main tab of the firewalls area, by clicking "Custom"

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

For some weird reason, both my XP Professional with SP2 now don't respond to ipconfig at command prompt. The command box opens, quickly flashes some information and then closes. It used to stay open and I could read the settings. Now I can't. Any suggestion? -- Nadyne Nelson snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Nadyne Nelson

Are you running it from a command prompt window, or from the Run... menu? Do it from the former only.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

IPCONFIG gives me IP Address, subnet mask and default gateway. Which one? I also get two ethernet access, I am guessing one is my computer (that I got when I added the Cable modem long before the network) Also, when I get into the router set-up, I get a local IP, subnet mask and a group of 50 for the dhcp server. Which or all should I include in trusted?

-------------------------------------------------------- "Writers even write the silences" -J. Michael Straczynski

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

ipconfig should show you this: IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.254

Replace the last digit of the IP address with a zero, and add this as a Subnet to the "Trusted" zone in ZoneAlarm.

Where do you get two ethernet access? ????

If you add the entire subnet in, you will be fine.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

That did not work. In fact I turned off ZA entirely and no change, going through network neighborhood->entire network->workgroup. I have at least a couple folders on each computer set-up for share. Also, when I am on my desktop I get that one in network neighborhood but not my laptop (and vice versa). Any other suggestions?

According to zone alarm the second is my PPP.

Also I installed an updated version of ZA a couple days ago (after the wireless system was put in place) and it hasn't registered that anything tried to get during the couple of days it has been on. Should I be concerned that I screwed up the installation and it isn't working??

Thanks for all your help, so far, BTW>

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It seems as if you're running ipconfig direct from the RUN command, try "typing cmd /k ipconfig" in the run box (without the quotes)

Reply to
Andy Brown

check for file sharing or the peer-to-peer options on your wireless network configurations

Reply to
Dawn James

I should know better, but I had problems recently. Two things I'd check, you have the same user names/passwords used on both machines. Without a server I believe network security regarding accessing other machines is straightforward, and th ething I missed, check your firewall isn't blocking traffic from your network. :-)

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

I forgot to check and make sure the Netbui was on BOTH computers (checked it on one, but looked at a couple of other things before I went to the other and forgot to check). THAT cost me about

2 weeks (g). Always retrace the obvious stuff first.

-- "Terrible things, incomprehensible things", he shouted, "things that would drive a man wild!" He stared wildly at them. "Or in my case," he said, "half-mad. I'm a journalist." "You mean," said Arthur quietly, "that you are used to confronting the truth?" "No", said the man with a puzzled frown, "I mean that I made an excuse and left early." -Doug Adams *Life, The Universe and Everything*

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.