File & Printer Sharing not listed under Firewall Exceptions

I'm trying to get my laptop and desktop on a network, and it doesn't work when my computer is connected by wireless but it works when it's wired into the router. I tried to enable File & Printer sharing under the exceptions in the firewall, but on my laptop, that is not listed as a checkable item, and it isn't on the list of programs to be added. I need to browse for it and add it manually. Does anyone know where/how I do that?

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic
Loading thread data ...

what is Firewall software........

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Just the included XP Pro firewall. I'm running XP Pro on both machines.

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

have you checked under the Advanced tab that Firewall is enabled for Wireless Network Connection ticking this box may make file and printer sharing checkable

Reply to
Lez Pawl

On 15 Nov 2006 11:31:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Yeah, the wireless connection is checked. I've unchecked it before and it made no difference.

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

Silly question time. You do have F&PS installed & enabled for the NIC in question don't you ? Check the properties for the NIC and make sure F&PS is installed and ticked.

S
Reply to
Steve Berry

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Haha yeah, it would have been embarrassing if that weren't installed. But it's there and it's checked. I'll reinstall to see if that changes anything

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

What are you saying here that you can do sharing resources between machines when it's wire and you can't do it when it's wireless.

Think about it, if the machines can share resources when they are on wire and they can't do it when they are on wireless, then what you're trying do to up above and what you're ready to do in your last post I read is not going to do anything for you, because the problem is not with the computers as they are sharing resources when they are on the wire connection.

The problem is with the wireless side in the situation and the problem has nothing to do with O/S setup on either machine.

What O/S(s) are on the machines and what network protocols are on the wire and wireless NIC(s).

Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Ah, Duane is back. Everything will be back now. I'm running XP Pro on both machines, and have NetBEUI, Aegis, WLAN, and TCP/IP installed on the wireless NIC. The wired NIC has only TCP/IP and NetBEUI installed.... and NetBEUI is not checked. That's the setup on the laptop.

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

Also, disabling NetBEUI on the wireless NIC doesn't do anything. In fact, then the laptop doesn't even find itself on the network.

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" hath wroth:

Huh? NETBEUI is just an alternative to TCP/IP. If you removed it, and networking now fails, then the TCP/IP stack is seriously broken. I would look into various LSP (layered service pile) or Winsock repair programs or a wholesale reset or reinstallation of TCP/IP.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.