file & printer sharing

Hello-

I am having problems getting my network all connected for file sharing and printer sharing. I have a desktop using XP home and a laptop using 98SE. My internet connection on both is working fine, but I am having problems getting the sharing aspect to work. My router is a D-Link DI-524 and the card is a D-Link G-630. Can anyone help me with some instructions I may be able to use to get the file sharing to work? Or is this not able to be done with the two OS I am using?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can afford.

Dave

Reply to
dcbryan
Loading thread data ...

"dcbryan" wrote in news:UnfWd.33547$r55.28877@attbi_s52:

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

formatting link
might help

Reply to
atec

In case what others have suggested don't work..... Let your WinXP computer create a floppy disk to use to setup the Win98SE computer which should help. 8^) You will still have to enable sharing of each drive or folder you wish to be accessible on your network. later, dave (One out of many daves) Also with a DLink 524 and Win98SE, ME, and XP computers

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I left out a link.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi,

Very common problem when not able to get file sharing working between WinXP and Win98 is the workgroup name.

WinXP only allows the workgroup name to be entered as UPPERCASE. Win98 allows the workgroup name to be UPPERCASE, lowercase, or a combination of both. By default, Win98 has you begin entering the workgroup name in lowercase.

Workgroup names are, however, case sensative. Make sure the workgroup name on both computers are exactly the same. Best approach is to always use only UPPERCASE for workgroup names on all computers.

Also make sure "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is enabled under TCP/IP properties on all computers as well.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.