FCC

Is anyone else having problems accessing the "detailed" information under "Authorisation Search" as I unable to access manuals,photo's, etc. Under FF3.6.6 I keep getting "You are not authorized to access this page." and IE8 just gives me a blank page.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

Are these one's you're having problems with?

The trick is to think like a beginning programmer. For example, I just tried: Q87-WAG54GV2M as Q87 and WAG54GV2M in each box. Didn't work. However, if you type a -WAG54GV2M into the 2nd box (note the - sign), it works. Duh...

Anyway, all the detail shows in both FF and IE8. No error messages of any kind. I also tried 3 others, that also work. I the past, the FCC database has gone insane, but that seems to only happen on weekends, when nobody is watching. It magically gets fixed on Monday morning, when someone arrives to reboot the server.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Both of these. No matter who I choose as the applicant as soon as I click on "details" for a product you get the usual headings "ext photo", "int photo" etc. however clicking on one these produces a page which says " You are not authorized to access this page". For e.g. FCCID PY308100078 User manual

gives me the "error"

Reply to
Bob

aaargh! IE8 works if I add FCC to "compatibility view" however I still haven't got FF3.6.6 to work.

Reply to
Bob

Ok. I get the same thing when I click the above link: "You are not authorized to access this page."

Using Firefox 3.6.6 and punching PY3 08100078 into:

Yields 1ea 2.4Ghz Netgear wireless devices, and 4ea 5.x GHz devcies.

Displaying the details on the first item yields the usual list of documents. Punching the "user manual" results in the WNDR3300 wireless router manual. No error messages. The associated link is:

formatting link
is the same as what you posted.

The problem is that you can't go directly to that link without first dropping a cookie on your machine announcing that you have approved the wholesale limitations of liability and responsibility demanded by the FCC before you can view public documents under the Freedom of Information Act of 1966. Enabled cookies, start at the top at

fill in the blanks, approved the disclaimer, and then it will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I must have a problem with FF as cookies for the FCC are always accepted. I have just downloaded Opera and I have no problems acquiring the data with cookies disabled or enabled.

Reply to
Bob

For the last couple of years I have had the sendreferer header in about:config set to "0" and it seems that the FCC website doesn't like this. Modifying the sendreferer header to "1" allows me to access the data. Strange that I didn't have problems prior to FF3.6.4-3.6.6.

Reply to
Bob

Nice troubleshooting and sorry about the wrong cookies guess.

The default is "2".

Those concerned with privacy can set this to 0, realizing that this may adversely affect some sites. Those wanting to ensure compatibility should leave it at the default. I think the FCC might be using logging software that records the refering web page. Why not having this information should cause and authorization error is rather mysterious.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have just noticed that the "Link" details are different from what they used to be as well. from alt.internet.wireless 2009

has become

only accessible via the FCC website.

This will make it difficult to provide a readily accessible link via usenet.

Reply to
Bob

Good to know. The first link works without going through the approval process, so just inserting the document ID number into the first URL format should be suitable for providing a direct link. I just tried randomly changing the document ID and it seems to work.

Incidentally, viewing any page does drop a cookie, fjallfoss.fcc.gov JSESSIONID, on my machine. It's set to expire at the end of the session. However, removing the cookie doesn't seem to do anything.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.