FAQ: How can I generate good strong passwords?

And having told the world and knowing that there are not that many hymn books in existence and learing a bit about you (eg that you are Methodist) should narrow down the search pretty rapidly.

Reply to
Unruh
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, except I use a foreign language song book and it really isn't a church song book. I just "borrowed" those descriptors to convey the basic information. My point was that an approach such as the church book hymn provides an easy means for memorizing the pass phrase and it would be very hard for anyone to break it. The best argument for using this approach is that I don't have to write the pass phrase down. I can easily remember it.

Reply to
Gordon

Now all you have to do is find out where he lives in Canada, fly there, fire up your laptop with Linux and all the cracker crap installed and working with your wireless card and you can hack into his network. Now just in passing how much do you suppose you will be out of pocket when you start using his bandwidth? I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper just to get DSL or a cable modem in your own home

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Paranoia strikes deep Into your life it will creep It starts when you're always afraid

(Stephen Stills)

Reply to
Rico

Why? Networks are accessible from all over the world. I do not have to leave my office to have access to his computer.

Reply to
Unruh

There's nothing less secure than an uninformed opinion on security.(c)

Reply to
John Navas

Great I want to see you pull that one off.

Reply to
Rico

You can test the passwords at the following site:

-Hank

Reply to
Hank Nussbacher

Not really, would you call "Password1" strong?

Reply to
David Taylor

As David pointed out, it's only 'enforcing' the rules at

formatting link
which want 8 characters, one number and a capital letter.

They don't seem to be doing a dictionary lookup, as dictIonary4 is "strong".

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.