EZ10 antenna results

I previously posted on my efforts to overcome poor signal strength on a PC in a back room of the house.

I had done a quick and dirty fix to improve things by installing a flat steel sheet to reflect the signal to the PCI antenna at the rear of the XT case. This took it from about 43% strength to 56%.

It seemed that a reflector antenna was the best option to get round this.

Anyway, after searching the net for an easy looking wifi reflector to build, I settled on the EZ-10 simple corner reflector. What could be simpler?

First I checked out what moving the original Belkin PCI arial to a better position achieved by connecting the arial to a cable, and got

44% - not a very big increase at all.

I suppose cable loss negated most of my gains in lifting it away from behind the PC (1 metre cable only).

Anyway, I then made up a simple corner antenna based on the EZ-10 pattern. I made it from 1mm brass sheeting and mounted the antenna in a piece of 10 mm polycarbonate sheeting held on by a couple of small PK screws.

The result - an impressive improvement - now showing 82% signal strength.

Given the corner reflector is only 4.5" square on each wing, and dead easy to make, it certainly had a huge impact on the signal strength.

Im pretty chuffed on the outcome.

Anyone else who has bad reception problems like this should check out this super simple reflector antenna.

All up cost was $22 Aus for the cable and connectors.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
EZ-12, Windsurfer reflector. printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal. Leave the "tabs" longer than indicated on the drawing, for easier assembly.

If you made the sail from 1mm brass, you might need something sturdier than photo paper for the mounting.

I think this looks nicer than the corner reflector.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

I considered the Windsurfer.

The one you made looks great.

I went for something based on the EZ-10 design as it had to be free standing - with a flat base.

It is being used on a remote arial on a (client) PC, not on the access point/router as originally intended.

The original PCI based arial was a bit marginal.

I made the reflector out of metal so it wouldn't fall over easily.

It just stands on top of the PC box.

I haven't put the feet on it yet (todays job) and when its complete I will put up a link to a photo for anyone thats interested.

Incidentally, before I assembled it, I played around with the positioning of the Belkin arial to see how the focus point on the plan related to my metal reflector.

It was spot on.

I also found the signal strength was greatest when the tip of the arial was just level with the top of the reflector panels.

I notice that you have your arial down a bit from the top. Might be worth lifting it slightly.

I'm just a newbie on this stuff so don't expect any technical info :-)

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

OK, here's the final product.

Note the cut down glue gun nozzle feet :-)

formatting link
Pretty simple huh?

Its getting 87% signal strength in a double brick wall house 4 rooms away from the access point/ router - see second image.

Total components:

1 piece 1mm brass sheeting 9x4.5" 1 small piece black poly board (chipboard would do) 1 small length of rubber hose for compression fit to mount arial in. 2 small self tapping screws

and most importantly

3 glue gun nozzles

And a pigtail.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

The glossy white paper looks nice ;-)

Ah, there was my first attempt, the curved "original". I could never keep my curved piece of metal aligned. The bottom would stay flat, but the top would be skewed.

formatting link
I just set it on a printout of the template.

I think the windsurfer would work, just like the setup that you have.

formatting link

I'm limited mechanically by the length of my little antenna, where the bottom of the sail hits the router.

formatting link

The highly technical people don't like my free reflectors much. ;-)

Even less, the crinkly EZ-10 that I built:

formatting link

Reply to
dold

The crinkly one certainly is.......crinkly :-)

Good one Clarence

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.