extending wireless range?

I have a friend who lives next door to his parents. His parents have a Linksys router with 802.11g. We positioned the router in the window immediately adjacent to his house. Next door in his kitchen we get OK connectivity, the signal is rather low and sometimes drops out. Anywhere else in his house he gets nothing. Is the best way to deal with this to get a Linksys wireless extender and place it in his kitchen opposite the one at his parents house or perhaps the Linksys Antenna Stands and relocate the current antenna off the router and mount them outside the window perhaps? Linksys seems to have a number of products to deal with this and I'm not sure which one is the best solution for this scenario. Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

Depending on what model you have, check this out..

On some models you can boost the transmit power, among other things. It looks like the "hackable" models are the WRT54G and WAP54G, and the best firmware upgrade isn't free, but cheap, from SveaSoft-

formatting link
power is 28mw, the Svea firmware will let you boost that up to 251mw.

Luckily, I have the WAP54G and was able to do this. It was a whole lot easier than antennas, gave me about 3-4 times the range, and eliminated a lot of dead spots.

Reply to
Peter Pan

You might try some of the antenna suggestions at this website:

formatting link

Reply to
Rick Ankrum

. Some walls are loadbearing and even fireproof (thick and/or have metal sheets in em to prevent fire spread), unfortunately they also block WiFi signals. I have had success with passive repeaters, either outside the building, or thru the cable cutouts in the ceilings/walls. Finding em is a bitch, but it's pretty obvious if you have a laptop w wifi, or a signal finder, and walk around with it. Just see where the signal dies.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Is this an office with a suspended ceiling? If so, I've had really great results hanging USB radios in the overhead, where there's fewer obstructions and more holes to leak RF through.

A "couple of walls" will cause problems. Generally 2-3 walls is the limit for conventional construction for a reliable connection. I've done 5 walls, but the connection was unstable. You may wanna consider running CAT5 cable to the remote PC, and/or installing a 2nd access point closer to said PC.

I'm not a big fan of store and forward repeaters as they cut thruput in half and occupy twice as much airtime. However, they do work and are probably a tolerable solution if fancy antennas or a 2nd access point are unacceptable.

Don't bother with power amplifiers as they only make sense when you're trying to eliminate the effects of coax cable loss. Also for long range outdoor WISP installation. Don't bother trying an amplifier for an indoor installation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If one doesn't want to hack the firmware, what's a good option?

I have a similar situation -- range extension -- and am considering a WRE54G, or a WAP54G in repeater mode. Having said that, I've seen some rather scathing appraisals of the WRE54G and am a bit confused regarding the configuration the WAP54G in repeater mode...it's not clear to me whether it will work in repeater mode with a WRT54G that has only wireless -- no hard wired -- client machines connected to it. Anyone have any thoughts? Thx.

Reply to
R. J. Salvi

You might try installing the replacement hy-gain antennas available for the WRT54G. They produced great results for me.

Reply to
Dave G

Dave G.

Did you use the optional Linksys antennas? Do you have any before and after statistics on distance for reliable connection and speed?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Alston

Using them already, but there's one PC behind a couple of walls that just won't cooperate with the increased signal strength. We've even tried moving the PC to different locations within the room, all to no avail. What I'm considering is installing some sort of repeater/signal booster halfway between the router and PC, but I'm not sure what the best, or least complex solution would be. Thx.

Reply to
R. J. Salvi

No. The USB cord has no RF on it. The antenna is attached to the electronics on the end of the cable. You're limited to 16ft total length on the USB cable, but that should be enough to get some altitude. That's the whole idea. Get the antenna out in the open. My guess(tm) is that your PC has a PCI wireless card with attached antenna. The problem with these things is that the antenna ends up in the absolute worst possible location. It has an attenuating wall behind it, a big metal shield in the form of the computah case, and a mess of wires to screw up the radiation pattern. It's also low to the floor, and usually under a table. Basically, the worst possible location.

If you go for USB, you may wanna look into a client radio that has an antenna with some gain. I haven't tries this one, but others have indicated that it has good range.

formatting link
you go conventional, don't bother with the tiny USB devices with the inside integrated antennas. Try to get one that has a "flip up" antenna which is a more efficient 1/4 wave radiator. For example:
formatting link
If you get bitten by the 16ft USB limit, then get an ethernet connected client radio. Many (not all) of the access points have client modes. These will work:
formatting link
formatting link
's also easier to attach an externa antenna.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the response Jeff. This inspires thought...if I switch to an outboard USB receiver as opposed to an internal card, does the length of the USB cord affect reception? If not, I think I have a solution. Thanks!

Reply to
R. J. Salvi

The offending PC *is* mounted in a strap-on rack on table legs. However, when the box is sitting on the desk, the connectivity is still spotty. Hence the need for a more flexible solution.

Thanks for the links and help.

Reply to
R. J. Salvi

ok how about this i have 2 - WRT54G routers. i need to span a wireless network outside from one building to the next. about 150 to 200 yards. would they work if i boost the pdwer on both and used one as a repeater? and would a wired pc work off the repeater?

Reply to
main

i need to streatch a wireless connection 150 to 200 yards from one building to the next. and there is a small well house i can place a repeater in between. but all three buildings have metal roofs. whitch is not a big problem if i use external antennas. oh and i already have

2 - WRT54G routers. if i boost the output power on both and use one as a repeater will it work with a computer wired to the repeater?
Reply to
main

ok how about this i have 2 - WRT54G routers. i need to span a wireless network outside from one building to the next. about 150 to 200 yards. would they work if i boost the pdwer on both and used one as a repeater? and would a wired pc work off the repeater?

Reply to
main

If you want to *BRIDGE* two networks together, you use a wireless bridge, not a router. That usually means WAP54G bridges. However, you can use a pair of WRT54G routers as a bridge with the WDS mode enabled. However, I've never tried it.

I can't answer if your power booster will work as I have no clue what you're working with, what's in your line of sight, what speed you're expecting, or what manner of antennas you're using. Numbers, not prose.

Most wireless repeaters do NOT have ethernet ports to install a LAN connection. Of the repeaters that are just wireless bridges with a repeat mode, most (not all) repeaters cannot use the LAN port at the same time as they play repeater. However, a WDS router, can use both the LAN ports and play something like a wireless repeater.

Incidentally, the shift key on your keyboard appears to be broken. You might wanna get it fixed or replaced.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Power is not the determining factor. At 150-200 yards you need a clear line of sight with no obstructions.

You will need to change the firmware in at least one WRT54G.

formatting link
Yes, you can have a remote WRT54G using the Satori firmware, which allows client mode or WDS operation, that is connected via wired ethernet to a PC.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.