extending the range of 802.11g

"Bootstrap Bill"

| Who needs a tower? | |

formatting link
| | Of course, it would cost far more than any group of hobbyists could afford | to pay.

Sound like my sex life ... the real problem someone has to be constantly playing with it to keeping it *up*

Reply to
Not Me
Loading thread data ...

"Bootstrap Bill"

| | With my network (if it works as I hope it does), you'd be able to roam | anywhere in the city with your palm pilot and make free voip calls to anyone | else on the network.

How-to Build a CUWiN Metrix-based Node:

formatting link
NewburyOpen.net is a movement that promotes the use of free WiFi for public access and social justice in Boston and throughout the nation.

formatting link

Reply to
Not Me

Barry OGrady wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've not seen that one before. Personally I use BabelFish. Try this:

Like all machine translations it has some amusing side effects. My German is not fluent, but I get by provided it's langsam gesprochen :)

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Well its quite possible , I have a link to the office , the office can see a couple of nodes and truthfully for the rabble we are its a great little wan :_)

Reply to
atec

What you want to do is have everyone get a directional high gain outdoor antenna, except the person closest to the physical center. The person in the center should get an omni-directional outdoor antenna. Everyone should aim their directional antenna at the omni-directional antenna. The person at the center could also install twelve access points, with one 30 degree directional antenna each, and put them on the roof for 360 degree coverage, but this will get expensive.

You will need to get Ethernet wireless adapters that have an external antenna connector, i.e. Buffalo WLI2TX1G54. The reason for this is that you cannot have a long wire from the wireless adapter, or router, to the outdoor antenna, as the gain of the antenna is reduced with a long wire. So you will connect the Ethernet Wireless adapter to the router (or directly to the PC) with a long Ethernet cable, and place the Ethernet Wireless adapter close to where the antenna will mount on the outside of the house. You'll have to drill a hole in the wall for the antenna wire, or maybe run in out a window.. There are antenna wire extensions, but there are warnings that they reduce the gain by

0.4dB/foot.

You could always have the people on the ends, or outside, of the radius, add a second access point that has a directional antenna to another house on the outside of the next loop over, etc., and cover large areas, though there is a limit as to how many people could share a single DSL or cable modem connection,

If someone is connecting to their PC, rather than to a router in their house, they can also get USB 2.0 access points that can accomodate an external antenna, i.e. the Buffalo WLI2USB2G54, but the maximum length of a USB 2.0 cable is much less than the maximum length of an Ethernet cable. The plus side is that no power supply is necessary, and they are much cheaper.

Not all wireless access points support external antennas, so choose carfullly.

It will probably cost each person at least $125 for the Ethernet access point and directional antenna.

Reply to
scharf.steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.