extending Adelphia/Comcast cable to my new WIFI hub

I saw the word "relocate" in his original posting.

I saw the word "relocate" in his original posting.

I didn't see a refusal to provide service at all. I saw that the tech said he couldn't do it with the existing cable.

I have had cable techs complain about the work that would need to be done to accomplish something or other, and then they will quite happily go away without doing it.

I had a guy come out to the house whose sole purpose was to install a new cable drop. When he got here, he said he couldn't install the drop because it was too long, and it would require a special crew. He left without doing the work or ordering the crew. I wasn't home at the time.

When I called, the dispatcher said that he had determined that the work wasn't needed and canceled the order. Eventually I got the work done.

Reply to
dold
Loading thread data ...

With the right equipment you can go up to 10k with a wireless link. Of course you pay for those kind of devices. Heck a few cities are even putting wireless in their downtown districts that handle the range you say is beyond normal.

Reply to
Dana

Yes it does.

Yes, you are onto it here. You have to raise your antennas on both sides to clear this

and the buildings have metal snow roofs on

So two directional antennas above the roof line and within line of site (i.e. not being blocked by the roof) And you should be good to go. The antennas cannot be blocked by the building or trees.

And wireless works just fine up there. It works just fine up here in Fairbanks Alaska as well.

Reply to
Dana

Peter Pan,

I am located in NE Florida we can see Georgia from our dock!

Daedalo

Reply to
daedalo1

Reply to
daedalo1

Forgot what the original post was, But from where you are, then you don't appear to have the elevations we had in the Pacific NW, Northern MD, Albuquerque NM, or Buffalo NY areas (put solar power repeaters on nearby hills)... Did you ever check out if the studio on the same electrical circuit as the house? If so, you can use the powerline networking stuff that is actually as fast/faster than wireless (54Mbs $99, but higher speeds 85Mbs $129 and 200 Mbs $149)... Some areas have several homes (and outbuildings) on the same circuit/transformer (whole subdivisions in some areas), but unfortunately some older homes were seperate.. Ever think about burying a direct burial cable? (to go from the house to the studio? about $500 for 1000ft of cable and rental of a "ditch witch")..

Where does the power for the studio come from? A quick way to tell may be if there is one meter, and then the power goes on to the next building, you can be pretty sure it is one the same thing...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.