extending a wireless network.

I want to extend a wireless network from my friends apartment (adjacent) to mine. I have one pc connected directly but ideally, I would like to connect a router to his network (wirelessly) - and serve out to my devices (pcs, laptops, etc) from here.

Taking into account that his router has dhcp enabled, is this possible? If so, how do I go about it.?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
borderfox
Loading thread data ...

If your friend is really in an ajacent apartment, it will probably be better and easier to punch a hole in the wall, and run CAT5 cable to his computers (or to a small ethernet switch).

If you he plugs his unspecified model router into your unspecified model router, he will end up with what is called "double NAT", where the two router each translate the IP address. This will work, but will cause problems with programs that have to punch holes in the firewall. Not recommended.

He would get better results if he simply installs an ethernet switch and becomes part of your network. There are some security issues in that he can see your computers and you can see his. If you setup and use the software firewalls that came with your hardware, it's not an issue.

However, if you want two completely isolated networks, both sharing a single IP address, it can be done by requesting a 2nd IP address from your ISP. You would have one DSL or cable modem going to an ethernet switch which would then go to the two routers. It can sorta be done with one IP address, but I don't wanna scribble a lengthy explanation until I know more about what you're trying to accomplish and what you have to work with.

Oh, if you don't like punching a hole in the wall, and insist on doing this with wireless, all your friend would need is a "wireless ethernet client bridge" or "game adapter". Many of these will bridge more than one MAC address at a time. See list of prospects at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.