Extended range for laptop w wireless G

Application: Wireless G in the park across the street. Current config: Linksys WRT54G router/access point

I currently get semi-reliable connects to a laptop with built-in wireless G, but usually limited to 18Mbps with quite a few disconnects. I've been consideriing:

1: WRE54G which could be plugged in about 20 feet closer, near the window. 2: WRT54GX (ditch the WRT54G) 3: Belkin Pre-n

I've heard that the WRE54G is difficult to set up and keep running so I started looking for alternatives. Obviously Belkin's claim that it runs at 6X can't be true...its max is 108Mbpts with their own card in the laptop (not sure if I want to spend $200, given that real

802.11n may be months away). But it still seems to get good reviews on its own merits.

Is it worthwhile to run the Belkin Pre-n as straight wireless-G, or will I get very little boost over the current setup?

Alternative: Is there a better plugin wireless G card for the notebook that will extend range?

I just started looking, so I'm not attached to anything. Please do recommend other brands, models or alternative approaches.

Reply to
_B
Loading thread data ...

If you're using the XP O/S with Wireless Zero Configuration service are you sure that's not causing the disconnects as it seeks out other networks to connect with dropping your connection?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Before we discuss hardware solutions, it would be nice to know the distances involved (in feet, meters, or cubits). Also, are there any trees in the line of sight? If so, how dense (can you see through them). If the line of sight is blocked by obstructions, no amount of elaborate hardware is going to offer a reliable connection.

Since this is an outdoor system, have you done some sniffing for other wireless networks? Have you tried changing channels (1, 6, 11 in the US).

May I suggest you add to your list: 4: Add external antenna to the existing WRT54G. 5: Add external antenna to the laptop. 6: Add external antenna to both the WRT54G and the laptop. 7: Reposition existing WRT54G to where it has line of sight.

Yes. Get any USB 802.11g dongle type of radio and either butcher it to add an external antenna, or fabricate some manner of reflector to improve the gain. Before you discount this solution as unwieldy, note that you can have two wireless devices connected to a laptop at the same time. I usually "disable" one or the other depending on what I'm doing. For general coffee shop browsing, I use the internal wireless MiniPCI card. For war driving, sniffing, hacking, breaking the law, and general havoc, I attach a WUSB54G, disable the MiniPCI card, and attach an external antenna. Different radios for different occasions.

Incidentally, I've thrown together a patch antenna array designed to be glued or taped to the back lid of a laptop. It lies flat, about

1/2" thick, and is quite directional. You do have to aim the laptop towards your intended wireless target, but it's a small price to pay for lots of gain with little hassle. Photos and details when I'm happy with the results. (Translation: I screwed up somewhere in the calcs and it currently doesn't even come close to expectations).

See:

formatting link
under panel antennas. 8dBi or more will be sufficient to direct some RF in the general direction. Attach one antenna to one of the antenna connectors on the back of the WRT54G. Leave the other antenna the stock omni for local indoor coverage. Keep the coax cables short (i.e. mount the WRT54G in a window). Of course, this assumes you have line of sight. If you have trees in the way, forget it.

Also, you might consider using alternative firmware for your WRT54G:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Consider Wi-Max.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.