Extend wired/wireless network

Hello,

My home network is based on a Netgear DG834G router.

I'd like to connect a wired device in a remote room, and also if possible to extend the overall wifi coverage.

I wonder if

- a wifi access point, suitably configured, is the proper device to do that;

- if it needs a special mode (client? bridge? WDS?);

- if the router also needs to support this mode (AFAIK, not the case on the DG834G).

TIA for any advice - regards,

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are wanting to kill two birds with stone by using one gadget that will act as both a wireless-ethernet bridge and a repeater?

I used to do exactly what you are trying to do with one of my DWL-7100AP's, however it worked because it has two radios and I have both 802.11a and

802.11g/b networks in the air. I was able to repeat the 802.11a, while plugging a device directly into it's WAN port and use the 802.11g in client mode -- essentially making it both an "ethernet-wireless adapter" and a repeater. It worked fine, but I later stopped using AP's in repeater mode since its so unefficient use of hardware. This isn't an option with your DG834G since it only has one radio though.

Seriously, your best bet is to just get two dedicated devices: an ethernet-wireless adapter and something else to extend your wireless network.

An ethernet-wireless adapter is clear cut, but for extending your wireless network you'll want to think on that for a moment. Repeating cuts your pipe in half, which may not mean anything if all your traffic is just internet-releated, but becomes a bottleneck if you transfer files from PC-to-PC around on your LAN often. This is why I stopped repeating. Much more efficient ways to extend a home wireless network over "repeating" is:

- Run cable from your router to a remote AP, located somewhere to extend your network most efficiently. Yeah, I know, having to run cable seems to defeat the purpose of wireless, but unfortunetly its the way it is.

- Connect a remote AP to the router as above, but subsitute a computer for the cable. The computer would have a wireless client hardware (PCI card, external, whatever) along with a standard NIC. Bridge the two together. In Windows, just control-right-click to select both, left click, select "Bridge". Windows will bridge them together, then make another connection named "Network Bridge". The MAC address for this "Network Bridge" is now what your router will assign an IP against. From there, its just simply plugging your AP into the NIC. If you give the AP an SSID that is the same as the SSID being used by your router, your client stuff (i.e., a laptop) "might" automatically/seamlessly switch between the two when you travel into range of the stronger signal. My DLink stuff works this, but other manufacturers might not. You'll just have to play.

- There are animals out there that use your existing electrical wiring as a means of extension. They come as a kit of two devices: both of which plug into an electrical socket. One either connects by CAT to a router/switch/etc or runs a wireless client, while the other runs as an access point. Never played with any of these, but they should get the job done as long as the two electrical outlets are on the same circuit. (Same fuse on the fuse box.) One of these days, I plan on getting a set of these to play around with....

Have fun!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Just thought of another way also.

All from the same room: ethernet-wireless bridge for whatever device you are wanting to connect and extending range --- without running cables or using a printer:

Three pieces of hardware: ethernet-wireless adapter, a switch, and an AP.

Just connect everything to the switch.

Both the device and the AP get their pipe through the switch, so the pipe doesn't get cut in half.

Switches are very cheap. I just bought a DLink DSS-5+ last week of Ebay for $14. Works great.

Reply to
Eric

Ugh, printer = "computer", of course.

There are many, many, ways to do what you want. Thats the beauty of networks....

Reply to
Eric

Thank you very much, Eric, for this extensive replies. Things are clearer now. Let's assume I give up for a moment the wireless extension to focus on adding an ethernet connection. I take examples from the brand I know:

1) could an AP like the Netgeat WG602 (maybe in "client mode"?) do it?

formatting link

2) otherwise, is this kind (WGE111) of "gaming adapter" what you call an ethernet-wireless adapter? (not so clear for me...) Note that the device that will be plugged is not a game console, but a network drive.

formatting link

3) any other device suggestion from yours welcome!

Regards,

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT

formatting link

Hi,

Yeah, in "client mode" it should act just like a Wireless-Adapter Bridge. Thats the characteristic of my DLink AP's when I run then in client mode. Kind of overkill to use an AP just as a "client", but if the price is similiar to that of an adapter, the extra features could come in handy later anyway.

Yeah, a "Gaming Adapter" is pretty much synonymous with an "Ethernet-Wireless Adapter/Bridge" these days. "Gaming Adapter" was coined by the marketing people in response to people that were buying "Ethernet-Wireless Adapter/Bridges" to use with game consoles. Its just money-chasing. Guess they figure there are still a lot of people that would've bought an "Ethernet-Wireless Adapter/Bridge" for the console -- had they known thats all they needed.

One exception is Microsoft's "Gaming Adapter". Their "Gaming Adapter" was designed for the XBox. When you plug it into the XBox's ethernet port, it causes a wireless configuration menu to be unlocked from the XBox's dashboard. I think (?) that once its configured it can be used with any ethernet device though. You just have to use an XBox to configure the thing. I'm not sure as my XBox is connected via an "Ethernet-Wireless Bridge". :^)

Can't really think of any other ways. *shrug* Guess if I were wanting to have a non-computer device networked in a room, plus something extending my coverage from the same room, I'd probably go with Ethernet-Wireless Adapter

• Switch + AP -- and use the AP as a completetly additional AP (but with same SSID as the SSID I'm wanting to "extend", on seperate channels as far as possible after playing around to see which setup is most efficient), instead of "repeating". Even if I did plan to have a computer in the room, I'd probably still even get a switch, since I don't put much confidence in Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" to remain rock-solid stable 24/7 over a real hardware switch or router. Plus, I like to have my networks always "alive", even when no computers are connected.

Have fun! Eric

Reply to
Eric

Thanks again for these extra details.

I think I'll go for an adapter or an AP, depending on which is cheaper. But, should the price be similar, I'd certainly choose an AP, just is case I'd need its other features in the future.

Best regards,

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.