'Exploding' iPhones investigated

'Exploding' iPhones investigated

iphone (AP)

The iPhone's lithium ion batteries are thought to be to blame

French consumer groups are investigating reports of iPhones that explode or crack spontaneously.

An 80-year-old from the Paris suburbs was among eight people who said their phones' screens were affected, according to the AFP news agency.

Consumers in the UK, Holland and Sweden have reported similar problems, prompting an earlier EU investigation.

Apple said it was aware of the reports and was waiting to receive the handsets from the affected customers.

The firm has been accused of trying to hush-up cases of iPhones and iPods heating up or bursting into flames in the US and the UK.

Earlier this year, Ken Stanborough and his daughter, from Liverpool, accused the firm of trying to silence them with a gagging order after the child's iPod exploded and the family sought a refund.

Apple reportedly offered to pay the money to Mr Stanborough, but only if he kept the terms of the settlement confidential.

It has been reported that the device's lithium ion batteries could be the source of the problem.

European alert

In the latest case, Rolland Caufman, a pensioner from a Paris suburb, said his iPhone screen had broken up without explanation in July, the week after he bought it.

"I took it out of my pocket and held it to my ear and saw the screen crack up like a car windscreen," he told AFP. We are waiting to receive the iPhones from the customers Alan Hely, Apple

Mr Caufman has since been issued a replacement phone.

However, there have been other, similar reports.

On Tuesday, a 26-year-old security guard claimed he was hit in the eye with a glass shard when his iPhone screen cracked up.

He has said he would seek a full refund and file suit for damages.

The incidents have prompted investigations by French consumer affairs groups.

"An investigation is under way. We have been alerted to the problem and we are looking into it closely," said a spokesman from watchdog DGCCRF.

The European Commission has also asked the 27 EU nations to keep it informed of any problems, under its Rapex scheme.

Rapex is the EU rapid alert system for dangerous consumer products.

The system issue alerts for multiple products every week, sometimes leading to mass product recalls, but often with no consequence.

Apple, which has sold 26 million iPhones and 200 million iPods to date, said it was aware of the reports.

"We are waiting to receive the iPhones from the customers," said Alan Hely, head of European Communications for Apple.

"Until we have the full details, we don't have anything further to add."

Reply to
News
Loading thread data ...

I'm waiting to hear that "there's an app for that."

Reply to
Char Jackson

Or "It's a feature."

Reply to
News

However, I can't find the "days until warranty expires" feature.

I'm waiting to hear Apple blame 3rd party replacement batteries. That's roughly what initially happend when Nokia discovered it was selling exploding batteries:

My guess(tm) is that Apple will pay off the alleged victims and quietly switch battery vendors.

I sometimes dig through the battery pile at the local recyclers and at the dump (er... transfer station). It's not unusual to see perhaps an office trash can full of batteries. There are usually a large number of cell phone Li-Ion and LIPO batteries in the trash, many of which seem to be bulging to various degrees. I've also seen this in various devices that I own (Palm Tungsten E2, Sony Clie, Ipod Touch, etc). When they get old, they get warm when charged, and eventually bulge. Looking at the design of some cell phone battery covers, I suspect that some bulging is expected (and tolerated).

I'm also wondering if the EU will ban non-replaceable batteries in such devices as some kind of safety hazard. As with all product liability litigation, it's not the odds, it's the risks. The risks of having a phone blow up in your face greatly outweighs the odds of it happening.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:02:50 -0500, Char Jackson : wrote: : : >On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:47:06 -0400, News wrote: : >>'Exploding' iPhones investigated : : >I'm waiting to hear that "there's an app for that." : : : However, I can't find the "days until warranty expires" feature. : : I'm waiting to hear Apple blame 3rd party replacement batteries. : That's roughly what initially happend when Nokia discovered it was : selling exploding batteries: :

: My guess(tm) is that Apple will pay off the alleged victims and : quietly switch battery vendors. : : I sometimes dig through the battery pile at the local recyclers and at : the dump (er... transfer station). It's not unusual to see perhaps an : office trash can full of batteries. There are usually a large number : of cell phone Li-Ion and LIPO batteries in the trash, many of which : seem to be bulging to various degrees. I've also seen this in various : devices that I own (Palm Tungsten E2, Sony Clie, Ipod Touch, etc). : When they get old, they get warm when charged, and eventually bulge. : Looking at the design of some cell phone battery covers, I suspect : that some bulging is expected (and tolerated). : : I'm also wondering if the EU will ban non-replaceable batteries in : such devices as some kind of safety hazard. As with all product : liability litigation, it's not the odds, it's the risks. The risks of : having a phone blow up in your face greatly outweighs the odds of it : happening.

Years ago there was an incident where a cell phone exploded in the hand of a Yacusa (sic) (Japanese mafia) Don.

Initially it was though to be a hit but in the end it was the battery.

Reply to
NotMe

There was also the landline phone (well, it was on board a ship, but still...) that exploded, thus killing off the ship captain and letting Bruce Dern stay undercover.

Reply to
danny burstein

(all of that should be pasted as one line if it doesn't click through neatly with your newsreader).

Reply to
Warren Oates

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How many fart and clock apps are there on appstore now?

Reply to
Larry

Dunno. I don't have the iPhone app that tracks and counts such apps.

Here's a clue what apps users really want and use on their iPhone. Note the top apps are not exactly productivity oriented:

Also, another list of top paid/free apps:

There's no counting for taste in apps.

I predicted a bit late: "European Regulators Examine Reports of Exploding iPhones"

Two iPhones in France and an ipod in UK. EU style micromanagement regulations are sure to follow.

Here's the Dutch version of the exploding iPhone:

Nov 2008 rant on iPhone batteries by Fake Steve Jobs:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Since none of the comical reply folks own an iPhone, I would like to note that I have tried to overheat my iPhone many times from my front pants pocket.

As much much as I have wished for an explosion described by the French users, I sadly, still have experienced nothing.

I will now be buying a Blackberry.

Reply to
Kurt

try heating it by putting it in a microwave oven.

Reply to
nospam

Or save some change and try the little blue pill...

Reply to
News

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.