Excellent WiFi Hotspot Connection But Web Page Won't Open

I am using an HP Pavilion DV4170 Laptop with Windows XP/SP2 and Internet Explorer 7.0 and built-in WiFi.

I can connect at the local library's WiFi hotspot and have an excellent connection but when I start Internet Explorer (which should start automatically according to my settings), I get a message that this page cannot be found.

I have the same settings on my HP Ipaq and can connect to the Internet just fine at this location with that.

What could be wrong with my laptop? I've checked and all the settings are identical. Is there another setting in IE 7.0 that needs to be set? I have the IP address correct--it is the same on both the laptop and the Ipaq.

Hope you can help.

Pat

Reply to
patetc
Loading thread data ...

Pat,

Typically you dont set your own IP. Try allowing your computer to pull it's IP dynamically and see what happens.

Also, make sure that you do not have a proxy set up in Control Panel >

Internet Settings > Connections Tab > Advanced

HTH Chris NetSteady

Reply to
NetSteady

patetc hath wroth:

XP or Vista?

That's correct. Most libraries have a "terms of service and what's your library card number" web page appear before you can use the system. If your default home page in IE7 happens to be Microsloths check for updates, or some other web page that appears BEFORE the home page, then you'll get a failure to display.

The solution is to simply type in any URL, such as:

formatting link
IE7, and you should get the library page with its request for a card number.

Some other possibilities:

1. Have you tried this laptop at other hotspots? Duz it work there?
  2. There are numerous ways to disable wireless, some of which do not show anything on the screen. If you don't have another hotspot or access point to use for testing, double check: The bios wi-fi on/off setting. The slide switch wireless on/off somewhere on the laptop. The blue light push button found somewhere on the laptop. Function key combination (typically Fn-F2) to enable the wireless. Control Panel -> Network -> Wireless. Right click enable/disable. The wireless icon in the System Tray. Right click enable/disable.
  3. Windoze Wireless Zero config has an irritating mis-feature. If you change the encryption key, you have to remove the saved settings for the SSID before it will let you enter new settings. This doesn't always happen, but I've been running into it lately. I know there's no encryption key for the libary, but if you accidentally saved one with the same SSID, you could have this problem. Delete the library SSID entry, re-detect new networks, and try again from scratch.
  4. If you're not using Wireless Zero Config, there may be some oddities in whatever connection manager you're using. I'll need details on the MiniPCI wireless card and connection manager version before exploring this possibility.
  5. There may be someone playing games by impersonating the library SSID system or a "man in the middle" attack. Depending on how it's being done, it can cause all kinds of strange problems.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Looks like here is your problem. Two devices should not have the same ip. Try to just use DHCP, in other words let your computer get an ip address automatically.

Reply to
Dana

Thanks Chris,

The proxy set up was the problem. Once I fixed that I was able to connect just fine.

Pat

Reply to
patetc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.