Ethernet adaptor damage ?

The power supply on my desktop failed, after I have replaced it, the onboard ethernet adaptor is not working.

It connects correctly at apparent 100Mb/s, but while it sends out packets it only receives about one a minute ! Ping to router is very slow and times out after the first one. Pings to DNS server time out.

What puzzles me is that it is essentially working, but far too slow to be any use. Any advice ?

The adaptor is Intel PRO/100 VE. Original driver was 6.1.3.11 dated 19/9/2002 I have replaced it with current one v.13.3 dated 30/10/2008, but it didn't help. TIA Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²
Loading thread data ...

Ummm.... this is a wireless newsgroup.

Try the Intel Proset Diagnostics:

The above instructions are for Intel wireless devices, but the wired instructions should be similar.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Buy a new one. Ethernet NIC's cost about as much as a fart in a bathtub.

Reply to
jnkmail009

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 03:15:27 -0000, "Martin²" wrote in :

Remove and reseat the adapter. Check and/or replace the network cable.

Reply to
John Navas

With what - a soldering iron?

(Its built into his mobo....) :-)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 23:22:19 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

You know that ... how?

Depending on his level of sophistication, "onboard" could mean inside the case.

It's unlikely that replacing the power supply would have any effect on a motherboard Ethernet chip alone.

Best not to leap to conclusions just for the opportunity to take a pot shot at me. But you had nothing constructive to contribute.

Reply to
John Navas

Just to update you (and stop some from bickering:-). Yes, it's on motherboard. I got hold of Intel ProSet diagnostic software, it tests OK, then it says: pings timed out. So, it's as I said before, it is working, just receiving at snails pace, God knows why....

I have resorted to WiFi connection over about 6', which works OK, but when I get my hands on ethernet adapter I will stick it in. Thanks for your help, regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 03:30:29 -0000, "Martin²" wrote in :

You'll never stop the bickering here with facts -- this is Usenet after all, and some people get off by being able to act here in ways they can't in real life.

Network cable is my guess. Or possibly the hardware at the other end. Or possibly duplex settings.

Reply to
John Navas

With a BFH (Big F..... Hammer).... won't fix it, but assures he gets a new one...... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:37:54 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Sorry, but no.

1. Not my entire content.
  2. Less offensive than your insults.
  3. Call 'em as I see 'em.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Given that the OP has confirmed he has an onboard NIC, you lie.

No indeed - I snipped the other snide remarks.

Less obvious but IMHO more offensive.

Me too - and I call you a pompous tit.

Now go play with your spambot, you've not spammed the group some gratuitous ALERT: about something mindnumbingly obvious for at least a day.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

First tests only confirm a connection from motherboard computer to NIC computer. Last test confirms the other side of that NIC. That means a second Intel NIC was also loaded with the diagnostic. Otherwise that last test will time out on pings. You don't say it and others have also made the same mistake. Did you also load that that same diagnostic on a second computer and setup that second computer to echo back pings? If not, then perfectly good hardware has been declared defective.

From experience, I expected the ping test to start properly but slowly start losing data packets - or even just suddenly locking up. Based upon above symptoms, I expected the ping test to at least echo back some packets properly.

Reply to
westom1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.