Entending a Wireless LAN - Access Point, Bridge or Router?

I have a workgroup LAN setup at my home consisting of a cable modem and Linksys WRT54G router. Multiple PC clients with B or G capability throughout the home currently connect to this router wirelessly. Now I want to extend the *wireless* connectivity for people that I will assist in my home with PC configurations.

I built a workshop/lab in the basement and I want to have a way to connect up to five multiple PC's at a time with the *only* requirement is that they have an Ethernet port built-in. They will not need a wireless card nor will I need to install one. I want these PC's to connect to a hub or switch that will *wirelessly* communicate with my LAN. I do not want to run e-net cable.

Would I want to connect a WAP11 or WAP54G wireless access point linked up with a EFAH05W v.2 hub? If yes, would a EZXS55W switch be a better choice than the hub?

In an alternate but related situation, I was considering replacing my individual cable modem and WRT54G router with an all-in-one WCG200 Cable Gateway, since the cable modem is intermittently malfunctioning. If I do this and make the cable/gateway the primary point of traffic in/out of the LAN, would it be more sensible and feasible to connect the WRT54G router (which would act as an access point and switch) to wirelessly communicate from the basement workshop/lab to the primary LAN cable gateway? This would at least give me four hard-wired ports at the WRT54G switch to connect the workshop PC's, and that would then communicate wirelessly with the LAN. I would also not need to ditch the WRT54G.

Reply to
Billy
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.