Enhancing reception of Edimax EW-7126 [?]

I'm getting around 40% signal mark. Antenna is on the level with monitor's base. Length of the cord does not allow me to place it higher. My LinkSys router is on the second floor.

If I to get a replacement antenna with somewhat longer cord (at least 2 Ft more) which one should I pick? Obviously would prefer from lower price range.

TIA, Eugene

P.S. This a repost of my earlier message in a different thread that did not get any responses. So if you saw it already - my apologies.

Reply to
Eugene F.
Loading thread data ...

As a matter of fact, I did try to flip it over (before I read your message) and I lost the half of strength.

Just using the tin in "upright" position with the antenna standing at its center does not seem to have any visible effect on the signal (as reported by the card's utility).

Eugene

Reply to
E.F.

formatting link
antenna might like to have a ground plane, maybe a cookie sheet or 9" pie tin, under its base.

You could put a reflector on the Edimax antenna. You could put a reflector or two on your Linksys.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

Since you already have an extended antenna, and not one buried behind the PC, you are already in better shape than most. I wouldn't bother. If you put reflectors on both ends of a link that already works, you should have an excellent signal.

The "Hawking HAI6SDA Directional 6dBi 2.4GHz Antenna"

formatting link
The system where I installed the Hawking antenna has a Netgear WG311, which has a tiny antenna. The Hawking improved the signal, according to the simple WinXP graphic, from one bar to three or four.

Reply to
dold

Hi

Try you find what is your actual transfer "Speed". Signal Strength is not that important if you have clean quiet environment. Extending the Antenna few feet in an Indoor environment might not provide a real relief. A good Direction Antenna Might. Depending on your specific environment the preferred method might be the use of a second Wireless Router and placing it closer to the client. May be this can Help.

Extending Distance -

formatting link
Wireless Router as an AP -
formatting link
Hi Gain Antenna -
formatting link
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
dold

The end of a dipole should be more than 9" above a reflective surface. If the desktop is metal, the antenna should be 9" above that. It should also be 5" away from the monitor or other metal off the broadside of the antenna.

Jeff Liebermann would have to model that one. I just accept oddities and move on. I didn't expect the pie tin to be good that way. It does work as a backing reflector for a mini-USB dongle, but that's a different thought.

Someone else suggested that the effective speed that you get is a better indicator than just the little four bar graph.

With 54g connections, I find that watching the "current bandwidth" in the Windows perfmon.msc is a pretty good signal indicator. start-run-perfmon.msc + Performance Object = Network Numbers agree with dslreports. + Performance Object = TCP "current bandwidth"

Applying that to the windsurfer reflector test shows 54-48 fluctuations with the reflector and 36-28 fluctuations with an occasional 54 without the reflector.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.