Emulators and Simulators

Wanna see the features of a router before you buy? Tired of insipid data sheets without even a feature list? Need clues in advance with the setup? Wanna see the differences between different mutations of the same model number? See:

Linksys:

formatting link
DLink:
formatting link
Netgear: Nothing

Belkin: Nothing

2wire: Nothing

Speedstream 5100 DSL modem:

formatting link
Duz anyone know of any others that are online?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

There are some broken links and dead web pages. The current firmware versions seem to work well, while the older hardware and firmware versions are kinda messed up. I don't know exactly whom to contact to fix. The domain is owned by Linksys so I it's a Linksys problem, but I've verified that Linksys support does not know about it. Search for linksysdata on the knowledgebase web page yields nothing. Email to webmaster bounces. It might even be a secret project by some internal group with a clue. Dunno.

If Linksys managment ever figures out that it's a good thing, I seriously expect to see URL's that are a mile long that can't be bookmarked, a sluggish web server, and everything boxed into frames surrounded by advertising. Just like the new and un-improved Linksys web pile. In anticipation of this event, I tried to grab the whole site with wget, but can't seem to get a reliable download as it barfs on the broken links.

The DLink pages are in better shape, but fail to have up to date firmware versions. Some of the firmware updates that support WPA are not included.

In my never humble opinion, all router manufacturers should have such pages.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try again. This works for me using Firefox 1.5beta3:

formatting link
errors on any pages. I all tried all the WAP54G pages. Even the help worked. Where did the "site.asp" come from?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This is kinda neat, but I keep getting something along the lines of:

/* The requested URL /ui/WAP54G/v3/3.01/site.asp was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

*/

when I poke around too deeply...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks for the link, Jeff. First time I've seen any web pages with config screens. I tried all the BEFW11S4 pages and they work. No idea about "site.asp". Same version of Firefox that you're running. Cheers!

-- Louie Gainesville, FL (eat the flies to email)

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Reply to
Louie

It's not too bad. Mostly, they have the first release of the major updates, and are behind on the minor ones. For example, the new WRT54G v5 model shows 1.00.2 while current is 1.00.4. There's really no difference in the screen shots, only bug fixes, so the older version is fine.

Chuckle. It's their Training Guides, which I think is what the support people walk you through on the phone. I tried the DI-624. It's very long, tedious, not really complete, and misleading in a few places. Doesn't cover every model DLink makes. Looks like a good start that was dropped for reasons unknown. It's a good idea, but I think could have been done much better.

Same with Linksys: ftp://ftp.linksys.com It's saved my posterior more than once when their web pile was comatose (during a painful update) and I needed a download. Same with it as a repository of old firmware versions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Irritating that Linksys also haven't kept up to date with the firmware updates for all it's products. It seems as if these companies have all sorts of goodies hidden within their sites.Came across this one

formatting link
unfortunately the links to the emulators are broken(still you provided a link for those).As I live in the UK I always use ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/ to find and download f/ware updates.

Reply to
Frank

Try harder using Google.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/ (nothing useful)

ftp://ftp.westel.com/pub (nothing useful)

Google shows that there once was an ftp.smc.com but it appears to be missing.

ftp://buffalowireless.net/pub/ Looks like someones photo collection from a trip to Europe. I wonder if it might have been hacked. (I didn't do it).

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub (big mess) The MIB's directory is where I get my SNMP MIB files. ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/wireless

Nothing

Orinoco Google shows that there once was an ftp.wavelan.com and ftp.orinocowireless.com/pub but they're gone.

Proxim ftp://ftp.proxim.com appears to be valid, (it's pingable) but there's no ftp access from outside the Proxim firewall. I guess they don't trust me (for good reason).

Did I miss any?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That was the default from some old version of Forte Agent, that I've carried with me through numerous upgrades since it first came out. I should probably wipe the agent.ini file and start over.

Confirmed. It fails.

If you check one of the radio button on the page, it also returns: The requested URL /ui/WAP54G/v3/3.01/ap_client_restart.asp was not found on this server. There are plenty more that don't quite work. However, methinks it's good enough to show how things work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Frank hath wroth:

The /files directory has directory listing denied. See below. However, that's where most of the firmware images are apparently burried. I wonder what else is hidden under /files?

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls. drwx------ 4 ftpuser ftpusers 11776 Jul 15 2004 BKUPfiles drwx--x--x 18 ftpuser ftpusers 37888 Dec 22 15:34 files drwx--x--x 2 ftpuser ftpusers 1024 Mar 29 2005 secret 226 Listing completed. ftp: 194 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 194000.00Kbytes/sec. ftp> cd files 250 "/files" is new cwd. ftp> dir 200 PORT command successful. 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls. .: Permission denied 226 Listing completed.

Hmmm... found: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/ but it's empty.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[BTW, Jeff, you've got your Agent preferences set to give a date and time stamp of when I wrote my previous missive, which probably isn't worth quoting. I've got my set to "%from% wrote:\\n", FWIW...

From your link, (I'm using Firefox 1.0.7) try:

Setup AP Mode AP Client [Site Survey] opens a new window Refresh

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Out of curiosity I checked a few more. D-Link ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/ works

Belkin Access denied

Zyxel ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ works

US Robotics ftp://ftp.usr.com/ not nuch use

Couldn't easily find any for Netgear Westell SMC Buffalo

3Com 2Wire
Reply to
Frank

I was being lazy and guessing

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/firmware/ not much ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/ source files

ftp://buffalotech.net/ not authorised ftp://buffalotech.com/pub/ nothing

There are loads Xincom,Alcatel,Zoom etc.... Found quite a few sites with either "log in incorrect" or "not authorised"

Reply to
Frank

Had a look on Google

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/ma101_v2.4.zip works ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg311_1_3.zip works ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg311v2_wpa_1_0_1_7.zip works ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wag511_300.zip works ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/fwag114_ref_manual.pdf works

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/Reference_Guide_for_RP114.pdf works ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/MA401v200.zip works ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/linux_dr_b2.zip works

There is evidently quite a lot there but it is probably a matter of using the correct "expression".

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.