Electrical convertor for my wireles router is extremely hot when in use.

The LM2941 regulator in the Linksys WRT54G, WAP54g, and BEFW11S4v4, has an absolute max input voltage of 26v. I think (not sure) that the input capacitor is also 25VDC but can't tell from the markings. I would aim for running it on about 12-15 volts, which seems like a safe region. The common 19VDC laptop power supply seems about right including CAT5 copper losses. I run mine on a gel cell (instant UPS) and slow pulse charger which runs at about 14.4VDC. I wished all such boxes were so easy to power.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

You'd probably want to pull the covers off it and check the circuitry. Many of the Linksys boxes can run from near 4 volts to nearly 25 volts (the limits are the drop-out voltage of the 3.3V regulator and the power supply input capacitor rating). No idea how Netgear is configured.

The nice thing about the Linksys boxes is that power supply current drops as the voltage rises, so line losses can be correspondingly lower.

Remind me sometime and I'll write up my "Power Over Cat5" conversion. Also, look for a thread titled "Linksys Lies!" 8*)

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

I know, that's why I asked if the actual current draw has been measured.

Lose the transformer, use a SMPS instead :)

Incidentally, did you mention somewhere that you'd run much more than the stated 5V into a Netgear ME102? Maybe it was a Linksys, can't remember now. I've just got hold of an ME102 but no PSU, I have plenty at home, particularly 9V ones but no PSU. My choices are either to buy a PSU or alternatively just bung a 7805 inside the unit somewhere.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Nor me yet. Like I said, I might just bung a 7805 in a spare 9V PSU and have done with it. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

It's the early USB one, if I can't find a connector around the house then i'll just hard wire my bodged and 7805 equipped adaptor. :) Anything else and i'm liable to end up paying more for the thing than it's worth.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.